Need help understanding Pattern

Lucien

Question

On page 2 of the instructions, it says to make a round of chain loops all around each panel - which I see on your photo.  That was what I was referring to in my first sentence--I assumed you had already done that, and that you were questioning the joining part on page 3 - my bad. 

Yes, your interpretation is correct, you need to put chain loops around all the panels first (before joining), and that's what it is describing on page 2 (there's at least 1 other way to join yarn, but what they described works fine; by habit I would have inserted the hook in the corner, pulled up a loop and then pulled the tail thru, but it  doesn't matter).  Connect the yarn at the corner as it says and make chain loops all around - skipping alternating 2 rows, then 1 row along the sides...which is another way of saying skipping 1.5 rows, as it describes the same thing later (oddly written pattern IMO)

Did that help?  Sorry If I confused you.

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

So, all of the panels you've made have been edged with chain-4 loops all around as the pattern said, right?

It's a little unclear since you've completely surrounded the panels with loops, then it says to attach in bottom of first panel - not very specific, is it?  I'd assume it's the bottom corner loop of the first panel, that you'll connect to the facing corner loop of the second panel.

What you are going to be doing is chaining and stitching in a zig-zag between the centers of the loops of the panels.  So start in the center of the bottom loop of the first panel, make a chain 'reaching toward' the bottom loop of the second panel, stitch, chain back to the first panel's second loop, stitch, chain back to the second panel's second loop, stitch...and so on.   The instructions are confusing because they don't tell you to proceed to the next loop each time

Here is a picture of the same blanket I crocheted in 2003. I am not sure what you mean "edged with chain-4 loops all around as the pattern said". After the 7th square of each panel I chained one and cut the yarn. Now, do I start the edging by putting a slip knot on the hook--is that what is meant in directions "with loop on hook, sl st in first row of afghan st at lower corner of panel,"?467384447_2003BabyAfghanBlanket.JPG.f4c3f5c68852eb2c13b6371cf327a892.JPG

So, all of the panels you've made have been edged with chain-4 loops all around as the pattern said, right?

It's a little unclear since you've completely surrounded the panels with loops, then it says to attach in bottom of first panel - not very specific, is it?  I'd assume it's the bottom corner loop of the first panel, that you'll connect to the facing corner loop of the second panel.

What you are going to be doing is chaining and stitching in a zig-zag between the centers of the loops of the panels.  So start in the center of the bottom loop of the first panel, make a chain 'reaching toward' the bottom loop of the second panel, stitch, chain back to the first panel's second loop, stitch, chain back to the second panel's second loop, stitch...and so on.   The instructions are confusing because they don't tell you to proceed to the next loop each time

Archived