Crochet for left handed people

Ellcie07

Question

I have a pattern that has a front half of sleeve pattern,  Front shoulder,  Center front,  bottom,  Center back,  back shoulder and back half of sleeve.  Because I'm left handed when I crochet I crochet clockwise which is opposite of a right handed person.  Does that mean I need to reverse the order of the sides to front half of sleeve,  back half of sleeve,  back shoulder,  Center Back,  bottom,  Center front,  Front shoulder. Or if I do both sides of the sweater the same way does it come out alright?  

1 answer to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!

Confession - I am right handed, and hopelessly non-ambidextrous when it comes to crochet.

But, I've done a lot of fabric clothing sewing, and have knit & crochet many sweaters, so from a pattern perspective --

Does the pattern have a diagram that shows the pattern pieces, their shaping and measurements?  Here's an example, scroll down to the third diagram, 'where to take measurements for knitted garment' where it shows front, back, and sleeve  http://bygumbygolly.com/2011/02/briar-rose-vintage-kal-resizing/

The human body isn't put together symmetrically in the head and shoulder area.  Our shoulders sit forward a bit, and our necks are slightly forward of center, among other things.  Look at the diagram, there are some subtle differences between the fronts and backs - on the front body piece, the under-arm is indented more than the back piece, and a little hard to see but the under-arm of the sleeve (the bottom of the bell shape at the top of the sleeve) is indented a little more on the left side, which would be facing front, than the left side.

Having said all this, not all knit and crocheted garments are this well fitted, and are made identically front and back, except the front piece has a deeper neck opening than the back to allow for the neck-forward thing, and the sleeve underarms and sleeve openings are the same if the fit is loose enough so it doesn't matter.

If a pattern is designed for a close fit, it does matter,  and I wouldn't recommend making fronts and back the same.  If you did, it might feel like you were wearing it backwards (whichever way) and might not fit quite right. 

Archived