Help with a pattern from Michaels

Countway

Question

Hi there, On a whim I was looking for something to keep my hands busy and decided to try crocheting. I've been playing around and learning how to do this and have found myself thouroughly enjoying this and being completly frustrated at the same time. The joys of learning. When I was at Michaels I decided to grab an easy free pattern (Cozy Toes Crochet Blanket). After a week of a lot of youtube videos I am finally able to kind of read a pattern. So far I seem to be doing ok but I'm hung up on one part that I'm not understanding.

The pattern is basically a granny square that starts with ch 6. I get through the first rnd and where I get stuck is the start of rnd 2 (and 3 and 4). At the end of round 1 you join with sl st to 3rd ch of ch 6. I do this and then at the beginning of rnd 2 it says Sl st in next ch-3 sp. Ch 6. The underlined part is what I do not understand. Where am I slip stitching before doing the Ch 6?  Thanks for any help you can give.

2 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!

Granny squares are all pretty similar with different details, mostly variations on the number of chains between 'granny shells' of 3 DC, and how the rounds stop and start.  I'm having trouble finding one with that name on the 'net to  follow along exactly, but I think I've got enough clues to answer your question.  And hopefully not confuse you, as I'm  going to give you a little 'crochet theory'.

Crochet stitches have different heights.  To get to the next row, you have to get your hook up there somehow, and that's done via a 'turning chain'.  

The shortest stitch that's made into another stitch is a slip stitch, it has no turning chain.  Slip stitches are used mostly to connect the end of a round to the beginning, (like your granny square made in the round).

SC has a turning chain of 1, and the turning chain normally does not count as a stitch, so you would normally not ever crochet into it.

DC has a turning chain of 3 typically.  The turning chain almost always counts as a stitch, and you would normally crochet into the third (topmost) chain of it in the next round .

OK, finally now to apply the theory...what happens when, at the beginning of a round of DC, you need a DC as the first stitch, and then 3 chains?  You chain 6.  The first 3 chains of the 6 "are" 1 DC, and the next 3 are 3 chains. So, when you start with a chain 6, come around to the end of the round to start the next, and the pattern tells you to join with a slst into the third chain of the chain 6, that third chain of the chain 6 is really the top of the 3 chains 'standing in' for a DC at the beginning of the round, and the following 4th, 5th and 6th chains are a 'standing in' for a chain-3 space.  

That all is more verbose than I meant it to be, I hope it makes sense?

Archived