crocheting a shawl (help!)

windsong698

Question

I've been crocheting for 15 years now and usually can figure out a pattern, but this one is really baffling me. I can get the correct amount of double crochets up to round 3, but on round 4 I keep coming up short on stitches. (This is a UK pattern, so the treble is actually a double crochet.) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Start pattern by creating a magic circle.
Rnd 1: 3 ch (counts as 1 tr throughout the pattern), 4 tr, (3 ch, 5 tr) twice, 3 ch, sl st to top of beg 3 ch to join. 15 tr
Rnd 2: 3 ch, *1 tr in blo in each st across until next 3 ch-sp, (2 tr, 3 ch, 2 tr) in next 3 ch-sp; rep from * around, sl st to top of beg 3 ch o join. 27 tr
Rnd 3: as Rnd 2. 39 tr
Rnd 4: 4 ch (counts as 1 tr + 1 ch-sp), miss next tr, [ *1 tr in next, 1 ch, miss next tr; rep from * across until next 3 ch-sp, work (2 tr, 3 ch, 2 tr) in next 3 ch-sp, 1 ch ] rep around, sl st to top of beg 3 ch to join. 57 sts
Rnd 5: as Rnd 2. 69 sts
Rnd 6: as Rnd 2. 81 sts
Rnd 7: sl st to next st, 4 ch (counts as 1 tr + 1 ch-sp), miss next tr, [ *1 tr in next, 1 ch, miss next tr; rep from * across until next 3 ch-sp, work (2 tr, 3 ch, 2 tr) in next 3 ch-sp, 1 ch ] rep around, sl st to top of beg 3 ch to join. 99 sts
Rnd 8 & Rnd 9: as Rnd 2. 123 sts
Repeat Rnd 7- Rnd 9 for pattern 7 more times.

4 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the ville!  Just to let you know you're not being ignored, I sketched out the first 3 rounds and got round 1 to work out, but ended up with 23 not 27 in round 2 and 31 not 27 in row 3.  Just as I was typing this Avon Lady replied - hey Avon Lady, I hope you can do better than I did!

You guys are so kind, thank you for responding! I DID manage to get the correct 39 sts on row 3, but row 4 is what's confusing me. It's so frustrating when a pattern seems to be 'off'- I really wanted to make this shawl for my sister- she loves peacocks (so the title if fitting with the colors). http://bluestarcrochet.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-peafowl-feathers-shawl-free-pattern.html

Again, thank you very much for responding!

Archived