Crocheting directly onto denim

L. G.

Question

Has anyone had any experience crocheting directly onto denim, such as adding an edging to a pair of jeans?

I Just bought a couple of pairs of capris, and I don't like the rolled cuff on them. I'd like to cut that off and add a crocheted edge. I'm thinking I probably need to hem them, but then I'd be crocheting through two layers of denim. That doesn't sound so easy on the hands. Any suggestions for how to do this without ruining my capris and my hands?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!  I 'd fold up a narrow hem and then with a needle threaded with the yarn you want to use, sew a blanket stitch that reaches into the fabric just above the folded up edge, so the hem is surrounded by the stitch.  I'm sure there are blanket stitch tutorials out there if you've never done this.  Make the blanket stitches the same gauge as your crochet stitch you want to add to the capris (crochet a little swatch and measure the width of the crochet stitches--actually this should be the second step, after folding up the hem).  Then, use the blanket stitch-tops, which will be at the bottom of the hem, as the base for your crochet.

I've crocheted into denim when I've made little Christmas stockings. I used a steel crochet hook to make the hole for my stitch. The first row is hard but once you get past that, you are on your way. Here is a link to my picture tutorial for the denim stockings.  Scroll down and look at the picture of going through the denim. You might use a big sharp quilting needle for making the "pilot holes" into the denim too.

Thank you for your responses. I had thought of both of these methods and was wondering what might work the best ! Like many knitters/crocheters, I'm somewhat allergic to sewing (I get large, feverish I-don't-want-to's when it comes to sewing--they're really quite awful), and the thought of doing a simple stitch around two pants legs . . . well, that just might be a bridge too far!! And then what would I wear--okay, well, cut off, raggedly looking capris!! Ugh!

So I might try the crochet method (somehow life's better with a crochet hook in your hand rather than a sewing needle--I don't really understand this, but so says my little pea brain)! HOWEVER, it's always good to have a Plan B (even if that plan makes you want to hurl . . . . something across the room)!

Thanks again!

Archived