I find this interesting...Intermeshing

it gives a really interesting look, and i think you can create different patterns within the mesh depending on how you arrange the colors.  as I recall, Margaret Hubert has a section on it in Complete Photo Guide, and i think I've seen it in other stitch dictionaries.  

haven't done it myself and right now at least it would be above my concentration level :oops:lol    the closest I've come to the intermesh technique was a trivet in reversible shells stitch pattern https://books.google.com/books?id=sAwNBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=hubert+crochet+reversible+shells+-pinterest&source=bl&ots=FM5kKy3TUY&sig=tspIvFihsReBagZaILT-cqR8XEc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1o9Gzza7dAhXp34MKHUjfBVIQ6AEwC3oECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=hubert crochet reversible shells -pinterest&f=false   I know it looked good but I don't remember much about the process of making it.  

It is kinda cool, I made a trivet a couple of years ago using what looks like the same stitch pattern as your blanket.  (edit - just found out the links don't work while still in post mode with the new software, it also didn't seem too obvious it was a link).  Within this linked page there's another link to a generic interlock 'how to' tutorial.

The beginning is actually the "hardest" part, once you get past that it's smooth sailing--I almost quit at the beginning as well.  Somewhere I found a helpful hint (I didn't note where it came from, sorry) which helped me quite a bit, this was the note I scribbled on my pattern printout:

"Foundation row A as usual.  Chain second color, weave chain in and out of white base row and complete as you would start in row 2 of your white.  This starts row 1 row earlier.  End with white row."  Obviously sub your color for the first and last row instead of 'white'.  Hope this helps, it made sense to me when my head was more into the pattern than it does now.

Not sure if it helps, but here is a photo of my little project - you can see the beginning and end colored row looks a little different than the pattern photo, more like the rest of the rows do.

Crikey, sorry it's so big.

Zigzag Interlock hot pad folded.JPG

This pattern might be less confusing to start with maybe (straight lines, no zig zags, so you can focus more on the process)?  It's a blog that adds commentary to a linked Red Heart pattern.  Scroll down to the bottom pic with solid colors, I think the variegated yarn muddies up the look and might make it more confusing as a test project...  

http://www.knotmydesigns.com/crochet-mosaic-placemats-free-pattern/

I think I finally have it.  I ended up using the technique where you thread your 2nd chain thru the first mesh row

I haven't decided if it is worth all the effort to get a blankie made this way.  very fussy

zig1.jpg.314e2e927e5eaecd22b92fb8fffc7de8.jpg

:yay  Yay, glad it clicked for you, and it looks great.

I agree, there are a few other very cool looking blanket patterns in mosaic in different patterns, but I imagine also a yarn-hog and a a really heavy blanket for all the fuss.  Maybe on each end of a plain stitch blanket?  Looking at smaller-scale patterns (under 'mosaic', seems to work better for searching) -- besides trivet or place mat -- pillow top, tote or purse, scarf, rug...or here's a hat that I'd bookmarked

https://martinupnorthblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/27/pattern-the-up-early-up-north-hat/#more-153

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

:yay  Yay, glad it clicked for you, and it looks great.

I agree, there are a few other very cool looking blanket patterns in mosaic in different patterns, but I imagine also a yarn-hog and a a really heavy blanket for all the fuss.  Maybe on each end of a plain stitch blanket?  Looking at smaller-scale patterns (under 'mosaic', seems to work better for searching) -- besides trivet or place mat -- pillow top, tote or purse, scarf, rug...or here's a hat that I'd bookmarked

https://martinupnorthblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/27/pattern-the-up-early-up-north-hat/#more-153

that hat looks difficult.  would need some practice before attempting it. TFS though. :hug

Hi all.   Donna has asked me to let everyone know that she is in the midst of evacuating because of the hurricane.  She said she will work on tweaking some things from the software update when she can. 

Sending hugs and prayers to Donna and those in the path of Florence.

so I did get it to work but I found the method rather annoying.  I made it large enough to work as an exfoliating facial scrub. 

I don't think I will try another of these patterns... just not my :tea

zig2.jpg.91bd9def2a669dee2cc6ec71c168e4b9.jpg

Thanks for the links. Years ago, I bought a kit at a yard sale that made a small Afghan with concentric squares, and man, was it warm. On the old Compuserve craft forum, James Walters taught a class to show how to use more than two colors. I like the zigzags; they’d make a neat cowl.

Archived