Crochet Preemie baby hats to newborn hats

mdkb904

Question

I want to do my own pattern But I don’t know how to measure and how many stitches or chain I should be doing for my pattern I’m going to use double crochet stitches and single crochet stitches if anybody could help me please message me back on this page

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Good link; the only comment I have is that her scheme of making a DC flat circle isn't consistent with most patterns.  She starts with 10 and increases by 10 each row.  The more traditional scheme is SC = 6, HDC = 8 or 9, DC = 12.  The numbers are the number of stitches you start with, and increase each subsequent round by; it changes by stitch height because of the assumption that SC is half as high as DC (mostly true-ish, depends on your stitch tension) so in 2 rounds of SC you should end up with the same number of stitches as DC (12).  This flatness matters, because the plane geometry depends on a flat circle to work: diameter times pi = circumference for a flat (1 plane) circle, not for a cupped one (or ruffled one for that matter), and the 10 DCs she uses will probably cup for most people's tension.  If you measure the right diameter on a cupped circle, the hat will be too small.

Having said that, everyone has different stitch tension width and height wise, and the traditional scheme is for the average crocheter, whoever that is ;) .  If you make really short stubby stitches, 10 might work for DC.  If you make tall, lofty stitches, you might need more.

To the OP, I suggest you start your hat with an adjustable ring instead of chains.  When I first looked at tutorials for this, I found them confusing until I realized it was really just a slip knot:  make a slip knot like you usually do to put the yarn on the hook, except don't tighten it - leave it open maybe 1", with the hook inserted just like it would be if you were to tighten the yarn on the hook.  Make a slip stitch or 3 as usual, but you will be continuing to make stitches over the open loop and it's tail.  Make sure the tail is a few inches long, enough to weave in securely later.  The nice thing is you can size it however you want later, you can close it really tight or leave it open (sometimes opening it up can help ease ruffling a little  for example 

Question can I use a magic ring for it do I need to use a slip stitch  

Magic ring = adjustable ring or adjustable loop, so most definitely!  Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post.  I can't think of a reason where you couldn't sub the adjustable alternative for chains for working from the center out (except an oval maybe).

Oh wait, you said slip stitch - assume you meant chain?  You'd still (usually) use a slip stitch to connect rounds, unless working in a spiral.

Can I use Single crochet stitch in Adjustable ring so how Would the row for a Preemie hat go like sc 6 in the ring then can I do in the next round two sc in the stitch and then I can do in the next round sc then repeat the same from Melissa 

Absolutely, you can use any stitch, or stitch combo, in a adjustable/magic ring; unless there's something really exotic that I'm not thinking of, and you'd probably not use them in a hat anyway.

What you said above is correct, so it would start like this:

round 1: 6 into the adjustable/magic ring, (slip stitch to the first stitch, chain 1)  <==I won't re-type the part in ( ) going forward

round 2: to increase by 6, put 2 sc into every stitch (total for the round =12)

round 3: sc into next 1 sc, 2 sc into next SC, repeat (total for the round=18)

round 4: sc into next 2 sc, 2 sc into next SC, repeat (round total=24)

round 5: sc into next 3 sc, 2 sc into next sc, repeat (round total=30)

With each round, there's 1 more plain stitch between the increases than the previous round.  It works the same way for DC, except you are starting with 12 not 6 so the round total counts are 12, 24, 36, 48 etc.

We were typing at the same time there.  For hook size, it really doesn't matter as long as it 'goes with' the size of your yarn.  Remember the goal is to make a circle x inches across for a baby hat, so if you use a big hook you might get there in fewer rounds than if you use a little one.  My favorite to grab for US worsted/medium weight (size 4 in the little skein on most yarn labels) is an I hook, but anywhere from F to J size plus or minus could work too.

Gaaa I forgot the link, sorry https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system

So if you want a smooth edge, the best way is to join the last stitch of a round to the first stitch with a slip stitch, chain 1 for sc, go around again, repeat.  Either that or try to smooth the edge if worked in a continuous spiral, with a shorter stitch as the last stitch before finishing off.

Archived