Help with new modified virus shawl

PuppyMom

Question

Hi, I found this beautiful modified virus shawl on YouTube.  Having done some other virus shawls in the past, I though this would be a piece of cake...not so.  The crocheter has a very thick accent (Russian, I think?), and I'm finding it hard to understand, even with closed captioning.  Also the written pattern nomenclature is something I've never seen before, and it's also confusing to me.  There is no chart.  The main problem is that once I get to row 8, which is the "loopy" row that creates the "base" of the 4-row repeat, the math just doesn't come out.  There seem to be 31 doubles into which the pattern has me "fit" single crochets for only 30 doubles, thus leaving one extra.

I've been crocheting for well over 30 years, and have yet to find a pattern that can "beat" me!  But, there's a first for everything, I guess.  I love this pattern, and have found the perfect yarn for it.  I'd hate to give up now.  I know there are many of you who'd be able to figure this out, and I'd appreciate your help very much.  Thanks in advance, PuppyMom 

Here are the files:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3YUD7Mvm4       Youtube

http://interunet.com/crochet-shawl      Written pattern

3 answers to this question

I hope this isn't too late of a response. The speech on the video is very hard to understand and the written pattern link wants me to download a different viewer, uh-uh, no way.  I have seen several Virus Shawl photos and this pattern doesn't look any different to me other than the yarn type. I would guess this shawl is made with a 3 weight yarn and not a 4 weight. Or, more like a baby yarn weight. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Maybe someone else has a suggestion for you.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, ReniC said:

I hope this isn't too late of a response. The speech on the video is very hard to understand and the written pattern link wants me to download a different viewer, uh-uh, no way.  I have seen several Virus Shawl photos and this pattern doesn't look any different to me other than the yarn type. I would guess this shawl is made with a 3 weight yarn and not a 4 weight. Or, more like a baby yarn weight. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. Maybe someone else has a suggestion for you.

Hi Reni in AZ.  No, of course your response isn't too late.  I've not run into a jam as far as yarn weight, hook size, etc., but  I'm so confused with this one (having completed a gazillion virus-type shawls recently).  This one is different in that the "fan"  consists of the first row of 31 dc's, then next row is DC, ch-1, DC, etc.  The last row is 31 DC's all in a row, which is very different from the usual 3-row sequence (being that the last row has the chain-one's).  So then I get in trouble with the next "loopy" row, since there appear to be more DC's in the last row than can accommodate the "mesh" webbing in between the fans. Frankly, a chart would have solved my problems, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Thanks for the reply, though.  Take care and be well.  Pup 

Hi Pup- I sure do wish I had time to sit down and go through this video step by step. It is such a pretty shawl. Maybe when my move to my new house is close to being complete, but, by then you will probably have it all figured out. I'm sorry I could not be of more help to you.

Archived