Crochet doily pattern

RED DOG

Question

I hope I am in the right place this time.  Sometimes I get confused.  I could use some help with this pattern.

Rounds 4-6: {Ch5, sc in next loop, rep around , ending with ch2, dc in dc.  I get all of this. I have 32 loops.

This is my problem 

Round 7: Ch5, sc in next loop, ch5, *in next lp work{sc, ch5} 3 times, {sc in next lap, ch 5} 7 times, rep from * around, ending evenly, work last lp  with ch2, dc in dc.  (40 lps. I only need to increase by 8 to get the 40 loops I don’t understand if I do all those stitches in one loop I have way too many.  I would appreciate any help?  Thank you

1 answer to this question

I'm going to break this into chunks, my comments in red 

Round 7: Ch5, sc in next loop, ch5, this is reaching to the next loop 'as usual', so isn't an increase.

*in next lp work{sc, ch5} 3 times,   The {sc, ch5} 3 times is an increase of 2 loops, because the 3rd ch-5 is a connection to the next loop, so not an increase either.

{sc in next lap, ch 5} 7 times, no increases here, I assume your spellchecker turned loop into lap

rep from * around, ending evenly, work last lp  with ch2, dc in dc.  (40 lps) So, you started the round with 32 loops, which is 4 groups of 8. For every group of 8 loops, into 1 of those loops you increased by 2.  4 groups x 2 increases per group is an increase of 8.  32 from row 6, plus an increase of 8, is 40.  i'm doing this in my head, but this SHOULD work...I think??

Curious, what's the name of the pattern, is it something I can find a pic of, maybe on Ravelry?  Sometimes a pic really is worth 1000 words when troubleshooting doily instructions. 

edited to add a sketch, the blue is the second step also in blue above.  This is 1 repeat of 8 stitches, so this repeats 3 more times around.  It sounds like you might be turning a circle into a square, perhaps?

Untitled.jpg

Archived