Sign in to follow this  
~Kel~

Exploded Pineapple Afghan by Doris Chan

Oh my it's been so long since I popped over here I forgot my password, bad bad me. Anyway I'm working on the Exploded Pineapple Afghan by Doris Chan in the Unexpected Afghans book. I had to frog and start over with a different hook size as it wasn't working with the yarn I had, ruffling in the first rounds of pineapples. Second time around much better, got the whole first set of pineapples done, fastened off, reconnected my yarn as instructed in the pattern and started the new rounds of 27 pineapples, now it's ruffling like mad. I know it says it needs to be blocked when complete. I'm wondering if anyone else has made this afghan and had the same thing happen. Is the ruffling natural and will be solved by blocking when done or do I need to scrap this project? I'm using worsted weight RH yarn and a J hook, tried with an I hook and that was bad.

Hi, welcome back!  Attaching the Ravelry link so others can see what it looks like - a beautiful giant doily.  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/exploded-pineapple-afghan

So, speaking of Doris Chan, she made some observations on how people make their stitches https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

I 'confess' that I'm a yanker.  Before I read her above article, I tried to make a top down raglan of her design but gave up --the pattern was easy but I was so far off her vertical gauge that the armholes would have been tight on a baby, and I was making my size!.   So if I found this round blanket pattern by Doris Chan, I'd know I'd have to take some drastic measures to get it to lay flat.

I don't have this book, so I can't be specific (on row x do y) but here's steps to consider to fix the ruffle.  Flat circles have a strict ratio of diameter to circumference that you have to maintain to keep them flat.  If you make short stitches like me, from a lifter designer like Doris Chan, your diameter is too short for the number of stitches you are making around, so the circumference is too big and it ruffles.  

The solution to reduce the diameter is either try to stealthily remove some stitches here and there every few rows or however often it seems that you need to in a way that won't affect the pattern (can be tricky), or add a round with no increases (trickier) or make taller stitches.  I've made a lot of doilies and have been able to block the ruffles out of all but 1--so you could try blocking it each time you wash it.  A lot of patterns ruffle at the beginning and 'heal' themselves after a while, so I usually just keep going and hope, expecting I may have to rip and adjust, but on that one I was only a few rows from the end and realized this doily wasn't going to behave, so I ripped back almost to the beginning and used triples in place of doubles, and it worked nicely,  You might try the same, either subbing extended DCs or Triples for the DCs and see how it goes to mimic Doris' lifted gauge.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I ended up frogging several rows and switching to a smaller hook. I think I just crochet really loose, a lifter I guess from that article. There is still some ruffling but it is much less than before, blocking will hopefully take care of it.