Chemo blankets

Jones

I crochet chemo blankets and then donate them to the chemo patients so they can wrap up while they are taking their treatments. These are some examples:

100_0720.JPG

Corel Ombre Blanket 2.jpg

Blue Ombre Throw 3.jpg

Edited by Jones
added picture
  • Like 5

These are beautiful!!  My Crochet Club makes these blankets for Veterans hospitals.  We've been crocheting these and prayer shawls since 2011.  There's just no better feeling, is there?  Keep up the Good work!!!  God bless you!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Avon Lady said:

These are beautiful!!  My Crochet Club makes these blankets for Veterans hospitals.  We've been crocheting these and prayer shawls since 2011.  There's just no better feeling, is there?  Keep up the Good work!!!  God bless you!

Thank you and you're right. Doing this and donating to these people makes me feel so good and they love them!!! Because they appreciate them so, that makes me feel better!!!!

Edited by Jones

Thank you everyone! Your comments have made me feel so good! I really do appreciate it.  I would like to share with you the first time I took the chemo blankets to the patients and gave them one. The looks on their faces and the hugs I received were so wonderful! They didn't have to say a word! Their faces said it for them! They were all so sweet to me!!!! I was so overcome with joy and it was all worthwhile!!!! When I left there, I went to the store and purchased more yarn and started making more to give to them.

Edited by Jones
share more information
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wonderful blankets!  My mom used to get some serious blood transfusions in the same place people got chemo and she said it was fuh-reezing in there so she would make blankets and drop them off. I always wanted to continue with her legacy. What sizes  are your Afghans?  

Edited by Lousbabci

11 hours ago, Lousbabci said:

Wonderful blankets!  My mom used to get some serious blood transfusions in the same place people got chemo and she said it was fuh-reezing in there so she would make blankets and drop them off. I always wanted to continue with her legacy. What sizes  are your Afghans?  

Thank you! My blankets are about 32 x 56. I try to make them so most people can cover up good. My husband took chemo and he complained also of how cold it always was in that room and he was right. I went with him one day and got so cold. They gave the patients what they called "blankets" to cover up with but they were not warm enough according to most of them. This is what gave me the idea to make them and help them out.

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Lousbabci said:

How many different shades in of color are in each blanket?  And how did you crochet this?  Two rows of each or what?  I love how they fade in and out. 

I haven't really counted the shades. All I do is crochet using the ripple pattern. This is a yarn made by Red Heart called Ombre.  When I first saw it, I thought there is no way that will work but I ordered just to try it. I couldn't believe how it works. All I do is crochet and then match the color to another skein when the one I'm using runs out.  When a skein ends, I do make sure that I'm matching if the skein I'm finishing is getting lighter or darker to the new skein I'm about to start. I don't want it to be getting lighter and then I start on the end that is getting darker already. After you do this, all you have to do is crochet and it does the rest. It is so much fun!

13 hours ago, Lousbabci said:

I just couldn’t believe the beginnng and endings matched up so nicely. It really looks like you did individual color skeins on all of the afghans. 

I know what you mean! When I first ordered it, it was going to be "trial and error" which I was expecting more error than trial. But, the joke was on me. I couldn't believe how it was working out! When I showed it to my daughter the first time, she thought I was changing colors that often. I told her no, I wasn't and that it was the yarn. That's when I  pulled it out to show her. Like me, she was amazed! I just couldn't take the credit for something the company is doing. 

1 hour ago, LegalWoman17 said:

Your afghans are gorgeous !!  Thank you for making them and donating for a good cause.

Thank you! Before I found this yarn, I was using solids and variegated and I enjoyed using it plus they really loved them. Then I found this and I'm hooked on it. I enjoy using this so much. It will be interesting to see how they react when I give them this. I just started using this around the first of this year so I haven't taken any of these to them yet. It will be fun to give them away.

Your blankets are beautiful and will bring such comfort to people getting chemo. Having been through chemo myself, I know how our chemo suite used handmade blankets to cover people undergoing treatment. It was very comforting to have a pretty warm blanket to cover up with such as the ones you have made. Thank you for doing this for cancer patients.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RecycleCindy said:

Your blankets are beautiful and will bring such comfort to people getting chemo. Having been through chemo myself, I know how our chemo suite used handmade blankets to cover people undergoing treatment. It was very comforting to have a pretty warm blanket to cover up with such as the ones you have made. Thank you for doing this for cancer patients.

Thank you! I just enjoy making these for people that I know can use them and will appreciate them and it seemed like these people did the time I took a load to them and handed them out.