Spring bean cowl gauge problem

Question

Okay.I was wondering if anyone else that has tried it had the same problem I have had with guage being to small. Well, it's not quite that simple actually. The guage is as follows.  14 rows by 7 bean( 6 loop puff) stitches= 4" by 4". (Lion brand mandala yarn size 3)And of course using the famous size H crochet hook. But it also says, an easier way to guage your project is that your starting chain of 100 equal 27 to 28 inches long.  My problem is, when I guage my project, even a J hook doesn't quite get me 7 bean stitches equaling 4 inches( try making 7 bean stitches with something close to an H  hook and see if u get 4 inches lol), but it does get me a much longer starting chain than 28 inches lol I know I could just do less chains and bump up yet another hook size because the whole project is bean stitches. But I bet it just wouldn't look as pretty as the one online. Something has to be wrong with the way I'm crocheting or something. I just feel like the size of my beans vs how spaced apart they are....  (or maybe some other thing) would look bad. Not professional you know? I know it's a complicated question to tackle. But it's a free pattern. Easily accessible. https://www.ravelry.com/projects/pflaume/spring-bean-cowl I will post a picture of what mine keeps on coming up looking like. I did just unravel tho so I will have to make it again. Hopefully I figure something out this time. Sorry this is so long btw. And thank you for any help or tips/ ideas. An h hook only gets me to 7 beans equals 2 inches? J hook 3 inches. I sincerely doubt my guage is that different than hers. And it's a size 3 yarn too. A j or k hook seems a bit large for a size 3 yarn, but idk, I'm new to all this.

Edited by xSarahx

5 answers to this question

It would help to see what yours is looking like.  I read the pattern and want to throw this out there especially since your 7 beans equal 2 inches instead of 4.  Did you pick up in the notes for doing the bean that it covers two stitches --that  the cluster plus skipping the next stitch equals one bean?

You've lined to somebody's finished project, here is the Rav link to the pattern https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spring-bean-cowl.  I don't think non-ravelers can see projects unless the project has been set to public view (but that is a nice flat view of the pattern versus scrunched up around necks).

A quick glance of other projects didn't reveal complaints about gauge.  I can usually hit a designer's gauge in knit or crochet within 1 needle or hook size of the recommended one, but once in a while I find a designer that's WAY looser or tighter than I am.  I once tried to pitch in to pass the time with a visiting a relative who brought  a blanket square project with her, and with much fiddling I could make one the same size as hers but 5 hook sizes 'off' and the fabric was noticeably different.  So, it happens.

You said you are a new crocheter - a lot of newbies crochet tightly.  I did too at the beginning, until I realized I was forming stitches at the tip of the hook and not back along the shaft of the hook, which is the part that sets the correct size of the stitches--just throwing this out there in case it is a factor in your case.  Also, and this is my own personal skew - I dislike puff stitches and other stringy stitches because I find them difficult to keep uniformly loose and consistent...they feel sloppy to me when done properly...my inability to do them well is undoubtedly because I avoid them and don't get any practice.  Not saying you should avoid them, but with a too-tight gauge, you might be yanking them too tight--they need too feel much looser than 'normal' stitches.

My go-to substitute for puff stitches are popcorns, they have the 'puff' but not the smoothness of puff stitches so I'm not sure if the look would work for you.  

• Like 1

Sorry about the link mistake.(doy:lol)Thank you for the reply. I didn't read all the directions. I was supposed to be skipping one Everytime I made a bean, but I was stitching in each stitch across. And I'm in agreement. I don't like the beans. I'm doing ( most of them) right , but they do look spaced out and a little sloppy. I've noticed that the way people showcase there pattern online in a photo isn't necessarily the way it's gonna look when you make it. Clever showcasing will make a project look less spaced apart or neater than it really is. But I'm sure with experience I'll get the idea of when I may not like the finished product in real life just by looking at really well taken photo online rather than having to create it myself and then find out lol. And, what my own limits will be. This one is mine btw...

IMG_20180417_230908368.jpg

I think that looks great, the stitches look pretty consistent to me.   It looks like it's almost done, as long as it still fits with the gauge issue I'd finish it and wear it proudly --I'll bet you'll get compliments on it.  Sometimes we are our own worst critics ;) 

• Like 1

Oh good.  I wondered if you missed that part about skipping a stitch since your guage was coming out exactly half of what it was supposed to be.   I agree with Granny Square.  It looks like you are doing a great job with it and its really pretty.