Popcorn Stitch Blanket

Butter

Question

Hello, 

I am brand new to CrochetVille as well as crocheting general. I have only completed one hat, but I can understand most crochet things and I love learning new and complicated stitches. I got a little ambitious and decided I wanted to make a blanket and I wanted to do it with the popcorn/bobble stitch. This is pretty easy. (I am using Caron Chunky Cakes). Unfortunately, I've run into a few problem, most of them are beginning problems. Initially I had trouble with my straight edges but I believe I've gotten that fixed. My current problem is I have deviated far from the original pattern I found online and created some what of a new pattern, but i realized i've been adding stitches and its starting to funnel outward (For instance, my first row of popcorn stitches at 36, and my current row has 39). Im tempted to restart while following the pattern exacting. I only deviated from it because it was confusing. My other problem is that the yarn I chose is seasonal and not in stock online or in any of my nearby stores, forcing me to choose another color to continue. The only options are multicolor because I want to remain with the same brand and so I need to find a way to make it look good. My questions are, what should I do? I took this project on to make a more methodical and relaxing project, but now it has become stressful. 

Thank you,

Butter

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  I'm sorry your blanket has become a pain.  If it makes you feel better a lot of new crocheters have issues at the edges sometimes and either gain or lose stitches; one easy solution is to put a stitch marker at the top stitch of each end, and move it up each row, so you don't turn too early or overshoot.  I like to use bobby pins, they are cheaper than purchased markers, stay put and don't snag; safety pins would also work but watch for snags. 

Unfortunately the only way to fix the extra stitches is to rip back and start over, or at least rip to the point where the drift started.  One easy way to tell if you are drifting is to find a stitch a couple of stitches in from the end stitch, and trace it up or down the column of stitches; if you start finding more or fewer stitches from that column to the end, you have a problem.

Caron chunky cakes - 1 skein is 297 yards.  How many skeins do you have?  Here is a blanket pattern in the same weight yarn in an easy stitch pattern (not popcorns, but an easy one to spot the end stitches IMO) that is 52x60", needs 1084 yards, or the equivalent of 4 cakes.  (also, this stitch pattern may stretch your yarn further than popcorns if you want to go that way, depending on how dense the popcorns are).  

Or, if you found the popcorn pattern confusing--is it a free one online?  If so maybe we could help clear up the confusing part?

Archived