Circular Knitting Needles Questions

catwoman

Question

Hi guys.:) I am a beginner knitter and i don't know anything about Circular Needles yet. ;)

I have some questions that i need some help with on Circular Knitting Needles and Different methods of using them.I like using knitting needles because if my gauge is off by a inch or two i like to add a few sts or one row to the pattern on the needles when i have too much sts and when i cant get gauge even by changing the size of needles and yarns.

Can a person still do that on Circular Needles?:cry

I was wondering does Circular Needles have Number Sizes like US numbers and MM,Tip Length Sizes &Cable Length Sizes?

Also,Can a person use 2 Short or Long Circular Needles for Large diameter (Circumference) projects?

Can a person use the Traveling Loop  and the Magic Loop on short cable circular needles?:(

What do you guys think?

3 answers to this question

You can use circs for anything, pretty much.  I never use straights, except for DPNs which I use for small stuff (like hats, socks).  I have an interchangeable set of circ needles that I can connect more cords to and haven't really needed to use any of the other methods you mentioned; also my set doesn't have super flexible cords, which doesn't work well where you have to fold the cord (like for magic or travelling loop).  I've never knit a blanket (would probably stick to crochet for something so large), but I've managed with 1 circ or DPNs from everything from adult sweaters to baby sox.

Magic loop - using one long circ for little things in the round.  You need a long loop for this, because you fold most of it out of the way, and the loop should be flexible.  Same for traveling loop, you need enough to pull out of the fabric so you don't stretch the knitting and form a ladder (gap).  So small loops are out for both of these methods.

Using 2 circs -- actually I don't know why you couldn't use an unlimited number of circs for something big either flat or in the round (treating them like long DPNs), but they'd have to be the same length.  Google youtube for using 2 circs, I sort of glanced at the technique briefly once and decided I'd pursue it if I needed to, but haven't as of yet.

Interchangeable (or fixed) circ needles are sized (diameter-wise) like straights or DPNs.  I don't think there's a standard for circ needle length or cable length.

Archived