How I block a Guetermann sewing thread doily

This is how I block my Guetermann sewing thread (C Ne 50) doily when I have one with the same pattern made before. I use Hoffmanns liquid starch and brush it on the newly blocked doily having a cling wrap between the two doilies. I remove the excess starch with a tissue paper and I preferably let it dry in the sun or over night.

DSCN7820.JPG

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bgs said:

Thats very clever.  Do you mind sharing your set up for your blocking board?  Right now I use pizza boxes with cling wrap across the top.

Brenda, my blocking board here in Australia is also "auxiliary". It is a Styrofoam lid from a box, which I have covered with kitchen roll paper and cling wrap. If I have something bigger to block I put two boards together. If I block a doily with a new pattern I draw a circle of the approx. size with a pencil on the kitchen roll paper and cover it with cling wrap and block it on my Styrofoam board.

It is ok to share my set up!

Thank you!   Now that you mention it I can see how the denser styrofoam used for boxes would work much better than the coarse craft styrofoam.  I had been wondering what to do if I needed to block something larger than my cardboard pizza box.   I can see how two of your boards would work well together. 

Bgs, you can get thin (about 1/4") Styrofoam boards at the Dollar Store that I think are 24x36", or thicker ones (about 1/2") at the craft store for about $5 (that was a while ago..).  They are much denser Styrofoam than the normal stuff used as packaging (so hold up much better), and have paper on both sides - I think they are called 'presentation boards', like a student would use to post results for a science fair.

I cover them with plastic like Veronika has done, and between the board and the plastic I put a polar graph with the right number of angles for the doily - in Veronica's example, 12.

55 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Bgs, you can get thin (about 1/4") Styrofoam boards at the Dollar Store that I think are 24x36", or thicker ones (about 1/2") at the craft store for about $5 (that was a while ago..).  They are much denser Styrofoam than the normal stuff used as packaging (so hold up much better), and have paper on both sides - I think they are called 'presentation boards', like a student would use to post results for a science fair.

I cover them with plastic like Veronika has done, and between the board and the plastic I put a polar graph with the right number of angles for the doily - in Veronica's example, 12.

Thank you for sharing.  I had never thought about those.  

I use ceiling tiles.  You can buy them at places like Menard's, Lowe's, or any building materials store.  They are usually less than $1 each, and you can reuse them countless times.  I mostly use the 12" square ones, but you can buy the 24" square ones for the bigger projects,  If you want bigger ones, just join them like you would for a ceiling.  I cover them with waxed paper or saran wrap, and use straight pins.

1 hour ago, Avon Lady said:

I use ceiling tiles.  You can buy them at places like Menard's, Lowe's, or any building materials store.  They are usually less than $1 each, and you can reuse them countless times.  I mostly use the 12" square ones, but you can buy the 24" square ones for the bigger projects,  If you want bigger ones, just join them like you would for a ceiling.  I cover them with waxed paper or saran wrap, and use straight pins.

Another good idea!

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:10 PM, Avon Lady said:

That's a great idea!  I use cork board and push pins, but I have some big doilies i need to block, and trying to figure out how to make a larger blocking board.  I am trying to keep it lightweight, and not in the way when I store it.  I will keep the ceiling tiles in mind while shopping today.