jjzeinner

Pattern says in next st. Ch 1 sp

Hi I'm attaching a pic of the pattern and the part in question is underlined (badly in pink)...I've just learned to crochet with any end result. How do you chain 1 in next stitch (after DC shell stitch) the space I get just not the Ch 1 in next stitch sp...any suggestions? I've searched and Google a lot before humbly asking.

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!  

A chain is the only crochet stitch that isn't made into another stitch.  You can only chain 'into the air'.    The only way to 'use' a stitch from a prior row when you chain 1 is to skip that stitch that you are 'floating over'  with the chain.

Does your pattern actually SAY to chain into a stitch, or something like 'chain 1, do something else in (or skip) next stitch'?  Because the latter makes sense.

Edited by Granny Square

I just re-read your title...do you mean how do you stitch into a chain-1 space  (which would be created if you chained 1 into the air in the prior row)?.  If that's the case, just insert your hook under the little bridge formed by the chain (instead of under the top loops of a stitch like you normally would) and complete the stitch from there.