Crazy Hand Winter cable knit hat pattern help

catwoman

Question

Hi guys.I was wondering if you guys can help me understand this patterns round 1 after the cast on 96 sts
The pattern link is crazyhands.net/winter-cable-knit-hat/ :)

It’s the first round with the increase .It’s the knit one st from previous round,4k,repeat from the knit one?you are suppose to get 120 sts after this round but how does a person get the 120 sts? also what does 4k mean does it mean knit 4 or increase 4?:(

I know that its a crochet forum not a knitting forum.Any help would be appreciated.;)

I tried to add a bunch of numbers together but can’t get 120 sts:cry
What do you guys think?

2 answers to this question

Somethng is wrong with your link but I can't figure out what; I was able to find the pattern with a little searching and the URL looks like your link... :think   

Anyway...the prior round was the last round of ribbing and had 96 stitches.  I agree the explanation of how you get from 96 to 120 makes no sense as written, but if it had said 'add stitches evenly around to increase from 96 to 120 stitches' I'd have just done a bit of math (this would work for crochet, too). 

You need to increase by 24 stitches (96+24=120).

96 divided by 24 is 4.  So, what the designer meant to say is to increase every 4th stitch, or actually increase on the first stitch, and every 4th stitch after that.  She said to use any increase method you wanted, but I think what she meant by 'knit one from the previous round' is a lifted increase (check out youtube). 

There's really 2 mistakes in this line, because you can't have 4 plain stitches between increases, you'd have 3: for every 4 stitches on your needle when you started the increase row, one of those 4 will have an extra stitch sprouting out of it somehow, so there'd be 3 plain stitches between increases, not 4.  Since the increase is on the first stitch, you'd count ONE two three four ONE...etc, and at every ONE you'd make an increase.

I hope there's no mistakes in the cable portion as I love the look of cables but hate making them so won't be much help spotting or fixing an mistake...

Archived