C2C - First Project - questions/advice please?

paigeken

Question

HI,   I am a reasonably new crocheter...maybe a year and a half.   I have done one of those Mandala things to learn different stitches and it has been really helpful.  I decided to try a c2c for the first time.  Just making a small baby blanket with a simple cute animal on it.  It only has 4 colors.   I am getting the idea pretty well,  definitely making some mistakes (good thing this one is just practice).   The thing I am confused about is the bobbins and keeping threads straight.  I am not sure I understand how the bobbins are supposed to work.   I started with  basically 2 for each color (one for each side of the project where that color shows up).  But, some places I only need like 2 squares of a certain color and it is too far to carry the thread so I end up either cutting the bobbin off and moving it, or starting a new 'mini' bobbin.  I thought the idea of bobbins was so you don't have a billion ends to tie in...but I still have tons already and my number of bobbins is growing.   Or is the idea of them to help keep the ends to a minimum but you still will end up with a lot of ends and extra bobbins.    Because like I said,  mine is very elementary 4 color design and keeping it straight is crazy so I don't know how people do really intricate ones.   Any advice, tips, or explanation would really help.  Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Howdy and welcome to Crochetville. Unfortunately, even working with a simple design and minimal colors changes, you will normally have a few ends to weave in. I've never done a C2C but I have done graphgans with a lot of color changes. I've had up to 20 bobbins. I have a couple of rules of thumb...1.) Add a new bobbin if you have to carry the yarn more than 3 stitches, 2.) Use clamps for the bobbins to help control tangles (pic below, not my photobobbins-diagonal.thumb.png.1ec5dbe90a7b87ceb1b6b283a31bd179.png), 3.) Never cut the bobbin loose until you're absolutely sure you can't use it on the next row or so. 

I've only done small C2C projects so the bobbins weren't an issue.  However, I have done graphgans and used more bobbins than I ever dreamed imaginable.  I've never heard bobbins decreased the need to sew in ends.  Realistically the minute you cut the yarn you are going to have to weave it in at some point.  There are debates about how to crochet in your ends, but I've never been comfortable that they don't unravel.  I've always sewn them.

The reason I use bobbins is to keep the yarn from getting tangled.  I use the plastic bobbins, so you can put a significant amount of yarn on them and I don't tend to have problems with them getting tangled.

Texas Purl has some great basic advice for you on managing your bobbins.  My suggestion is to look at your chart and count the squares.  As she says if you are going more than 3titches you aren't going to want to carry the yarn.  That would be the time to prep a bobbin in the needed colors.  I try to prep mine ahead for at least a few rows.  Eventually as you end off a section you can reuse some, but you often need a significant amount if you are working on a pattern with multiple color changes.  The stitches look better the fewer times you have to cut and add.  So cutting and reusing a bobbin across the row can sometimes make the stitches in the row show the yarn changes.

Both of these are really helpful.   So basically I am doing it right I just haven't gotten my  technique down.   I also was confused on what the bobbins were supposed to do for you but you both helped clear it up.   Thanks so much....and I think I am going to buy some of those plastic clip things shown above.   Those look really helpful. 

Archived