Prismatic Stitch

deathisyourgift2001

Question

3 answers to this question

What pattern is this - pattern name, source - so we can find a picture of the elephant or if it's free, a link so we can look at the pattern?  (don't post a scan of the pattern here, would violate copyright).  Sometimes if we can see the end product it can give a clue.  

I've never heard of that stitch name (and am not finding anything specific by googling), but designers can define a stitch and call it what they want.  What came to a mind was Jacob's ladder with the 'hook up' and 'braid' description, but that makes no sense here (not really a solid enough stitch for a stuffed toy).  Does the pattern use 'hook up' to mean 'make a turning chain'?

Usually special stitches are defined at the beginning of a pattern, but sometimes at the very end.  Is there more info at the end perhaps?  Does it define the braid?--it sounds like you would have had to make the braid first.

It was a beginners set of three animals by Curtzy.  The pattern was emailed through after buying the kit.

The full instructions for the front legs of the elephant are as below 

Make a circle first, then hook 5 Double Crochet from this circle.

Hook 5 increased Double Crochet

Hook 10 Prismatic Crochet (Hook up the single yarn inside the braid and work a double crochet) This is the same information as in the key at the beginning of the pattern.

Hook 10 Double crochet then hook 5 turns.

Do 1 decreased Double Crochet then hook 8 Double crochet

Hook 9 Double crochet. Then stuff with cotton and leave enough yarn to secure. 

There is no other information to explain braid, and I'm sure they are using hook up as just making a stitch.

welcome to the ville!  I don't know what Curtzy is, but I think it sounds like this has been translated from another language in to English.  "hook 5 turns" for example is very oddly worded.  Taking a stab at what Prismatic could be, I wonder if it is a very bad description of a post stitch.  

Archived