Sign in to follow this  
TexasPurl

Springtime Doily

Practicing my doily making skills. This is Springtime by Hazel Henry. I really have to learn to block better. Practice, Practice, Practice.

8.jpg

5 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Pretty! Having to block is sometimes the decision maker on a pattern for me. It's not hard but I just don't like to.

Thank you. :heart  It's not my favorite either but I think if you're gonna use thread...well, you're gonna have to block. 

29 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Your blocking (and doily) looks great to me!  I make my own polar graph paper as a blocking guide, makes it much easier.

Thanks! I thought about using graph paper to use as a guide, but I don't want to risk the ink seeping on to the doily. Maybe use plastic wrap between the two??

That's what I do.  Foam board, graph paper, plastic wrap.  But, I don't print them out, I've draw them in pencil and re-use them--so for me the plastic is to keep the pencil from rubbing off on the doily, and also to keep the paper from getting wet.  The one that I use the most is divided up for 12, which works for 6, 4 and I added another set of lines so it also works for 8.  I have couple of other odd ones, for 9, 5&10 and 7 I think as other doilies came up.  I still have my protractor and compass from 5th grade (antiques!), I start with a ruler line across the page and then use that to mark off the angles.  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Your doily is very pretty.  Looks like you did a good job on blocking.

Thanks Granny Square on the blocking tips.

• Like 1

Very pretty! You did very well on your blocking and this will put a sparkle on any space you lay it on.

• Like 1