*2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 6 sts*, repeat from *to* (64

Hillary

Question

Hello all! I am having a bit of trouble understanding what "*2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 6 sts*, repeat from *to* (64)" means. Does it mean that after I chain two to go up a row that I should put two HDC in the first two stitches, instead of skipping the first stitch? Thanks!

3 answers to this question

HDC is an odd stitch, and designers treat it inconsistently turning-chain-wise.  The turning chain may or may not count as a stitch, which you need to know to skip or not skip the first stitch after turning.  A well written pattern should tell you.

If the first row said chain x, turn, HDC in the third chain from the hook and in each chain across, and that row's ending stitch count is the number of chains minus 1, the pattern IS counting the HDC as a stitch.  If it's counting the number of chains minus 2 as the row count, it is not counting the turning chain as a stitch.  Did the second row tell you to skip the first stitch (and wasn't a lacy pattern?)

In any event, you should end up with 64 stitches at the end of the row you typed out, whatever you are counting as stitches.  

when I write patterns I never give directions for chaining up.  People know how they prefer to do that and I leave it to them.

When I start a row w/ ' hdc in...'  I do a ch 1 and make a real hdc or 2 in this case..  Please note that you only put 2 hdc in the first st (Or ch2/hdc in 1st st as you will) then you put 1 hdc in the next 6 sts.  over those 7 sts you will get 8 for row 2. . 

Archived