help with pattern

reefefered

Oy.  This pattern is about 100 years old (I've seen it in its original book on Antique Pattern Library), and terms were funky and inconsistent.

Looking at row 3, '3d p' stands out.  I've seen 'third' typed as '3d' in old patterns, where we'd type 3rd nowadays.  'p' I'd guess might be picot...but I don't see any picots before that.  And 'p-loop'. ??  I've also seen patterns taken from original publications using OCR software, with sometimes misreads '8' as B or 6 or 9 or S for example...not sure if this is in play here.  I'm not much help I'm afraid.

I wondered that too, that's very possible--not uncommon to see picots used as connecting points.  I know I saw that pattern in it's original book somewhere online, I tried to find it at Antique Pattern Library but no luck.  It's a listing of books, not patterns; the descriptions are pretty good to find things but not so much for this pattern.  I was hoping it might shed some light to see the original.

I saw your link in the first post-I was trying to find the original ~100 year old book containing this pattern online.  Your link is someone either OCR-ing or re-typing the original pattern.  I was hoping the original might shed some light in case there were errors or omissions in the link's reproduction, or an explanation of terms at the beginning of the book (some but not all old books had them).  

It's too bad the picture isn't more close-up (I recall the original wasn't any better); a lot of times for doilies if the written pattern is confusing, a good pic can clear up a question.

I did find that it was in Lily Book 101, Crocheted Novelties and Bedspreads (1937), but it was probably in earlier books as well.  I bought some Lily Books when I first learned to crochet nearly 50 years ago, and found some of the same patterns online (with the same photos!) from books published 50-60 years before that.  

Optical Character Recognition - where you scan a printed page with special software, and the software decides what letters it sees and creates digital text.  If you're scanning a page that is already a scan from an old book, the clarity is degraded and it's likely to 'misread' here and there.  Like is it a 3, B, or 8?  Or i, I, or 1?  That sort of thing. 

Edit - just saw your new comments as I posted.  I hope the book helps!  Plus also more patterns to play with :hook

Archived