HELP with pattern

Orinakay

Question

F994C569-9CAE-43CB-8CAF-C9A60C847B20.thumb.jpeg.d9aedd40d9294e868ac7c848594fe97e.jpegI am having a hard time with this pattern. ( I’m a newbie) lol is it a ch 7?  I just don’t get why she would say ch6 +1 ?  Then is it 5 sc then add 1?       ( 5 sc, inc ) but then it says 5 sc, 1 inc. to total (14.). My stitches are not adding up.  I think I’m just as confusing as this pattern hahhah

ps. Pictures or short video  would be great. 

2 answers to this question

Right on the chain 7--if you want a row of x SC, your starting chain is x+1, and the 1 is a turning chain that doesn't count as a stitch.  They could have just said chain 7, maybe the designer was trying to describe what was going on, who knows--it's not wrong, just descriptive I guess.

The next line is indeed 1 SC into each of the next 5 chains, then 2 SC in the last chain.  So you have 5 SC, plus 2 for the increase, which is 7.

Now, a little lesson on chains.  There are 3 'normal' ways to stitch into a chain.  1 is in the back bump, which is on the underside (the chain looking part facing away from you).  2 is the way I learned, which is with the chain facing you, stitch into the top loop of the chain.  3 is similar to 2, except insert your hook under the top loop of the chain, and the back bump behind the chain, leaving the bottom loop unused.

You could use any of the above, but I personally think #2 looks the best with what you are about to do, so I'm going to describe it that way.  

OK, you've made those 7 SC, and you've used 1 of the chain loops, which leaves the other 2 free.  Most commonly one makes a chain, makes stitches into it on 1 side and then works up from there.  In this case, (I assume) you are making an oval  in the round (not a flat piece straight up from the chain), so you are turning the chain to the right so it's at the top, and will be now working into the loops that were unused on the underside of the chain when you made those first 7 stitches to repeat what you did on the top side - 1 SC in each of the next 5 underside loops, and 2 SC in the last underside loop.  7+7=14.

Edit, crude pic - the black line is the chain, the red is the round with the 14 stitches (I'm assuming it's joined into a round), and the blue is what I'm guessing will be your 3rd round.

WORK AROUND A CHAIN 3.jpg

Archived