I finally did it!

MarvieN

I got myself a skein of fisherman's wool today and came straight home and unwound it into hanks, then my son and I played ;) More pics on my blog, but here's the finished product:

dyeingsmall1ol.jpg

The purple was done with Black Cherry and Berry Blue and I think a bit of Swirlin Strawberry Fruits and Watermelon Cherry, it started out as those colors, but then I smushed 'em all together to get purples lol.

The green/blue was done with Changin' Cherry and Ice Blue Raspberry and Berry Blue

The third one was all my son's creation. It's got a little bit of all the colors we used.

The last one was done with coffee =)

I have two hanks left, one will be done with oranges/corals and the other will be done with tea. I didn't have enough room to do those today though *g*

Hey Marvie looking good!

It's so much fun! I have some wool wound up and waiting to be dyed, and just haven't gotten to it...I really love the dark purpley one, might have to try something similar - last time I used grape for purple and I didn't love it...Yours looks just how I wanted it!

Natalie,

Well I said what flavors I used, so I'll tell ya kinda *how* I did it, though I dunno if that matters much *g*

I started out putting the different colors on different parts, then saw how the Berry Blue and Black Cherry were blending into a pretty plumy prpl. so I sucked up a baster full of Blk Cherry and squirted it some more, then did the same with the Blue on top of that and just kinda layered 'em till it wouldn't hold any more liquid. Then I got my hands into it and smooshed it all up but I suggest wearing gloves unless ya want funky hands *grins* cuz I so didn't think about it, I just dived right in :rollin

I sorry Beth *g* I forgot you're trying to get ready to go home =) Well think of it as a project for when you get back lol.

Oh! And I didn't read this anywhere, but when you nuke wool in da microwave the next food that gets nuked tastes funny (hubby's liverwurst!) I didn't EVEN think about it... guess I shoulda cleaned the microwave out or somethin.... any suggestions ladies?

I know I was so shocked that the vinegar didn't do the job... vinegar has *never* failed me before lol.

I spent the day working at it, tried what Beth suggested... didn't work.... even after a couple of tries.

Took the glass thingy out, washed it, sprayed the whole inside with orange glass cleaner stuff, let it ist, wiped it down... didn't work.

Tried vinegar again, tried baking soda dry... nothing was doing the job... so finally I said "I'm desperate"

I got out some coffee beans, put them in a bowl (probably a handful) and nuked those. Let it ist a while, and it worked!! :clap

So far anyway. We haven't put food in there to test it, but neither of us can smell that smell anymore.... so I'm pretty sure it's gone :fc

lol both. I nuked it, let it sit, then wiped it down with a vinegar soaked cloth (fresh vinegar not the nuked stuff) several different times.

I mean vinegar works on cat spray, it shoulda worked on cooked (burnt?) wool.

I wonder if maybe I didn't overnuke the wool? I did it in three 3 1/2 min increments (nuke, let sit, nuke) like I read I should... but I've been thinking... German electricity is different... even though our micro is 110V on a 110 outlet, the cycles are different from US so maybe that effected (affected?) it? I dunno, just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Archived