help with top pattern, confusing stitch direction

dea4

Question

I am working on a top pattern that is fairly easy, however there is a stitch that has me a little stumped. The sleeve is worked into the top with back and forth stitches (in other words turn at end of row do stitches, turn etc) till you get past the armhole opening then it is worked in rounds as the rest of the top was also. What I have a problem with is at the end of a row it says sl st in next st, turn (next row says) ch 1 sk next st then has the next pattern which may be sc hdc etc. But my question is the skipped stitch. Does the slip stitch with the chain 1 count as the stitch to skip or do I skip the stitch after that one?  It seems if I skip the one after that it doesn't count out right at the end of the row, but I wouldn't think that would be considered the next stitch since I already have a slip stitch and chain 1 in it. Please help.  I have crocheted for years but am fairly new to making garments.

4 answers to this question

If you slst in the last stitch of a row, chain, turn, then skip the slipped stitch and made a stitch into the following stitch....that's sounds like it's telling you to make a hole.  

Is this a pattern that's free on the 'net, if so could you link to it?  Or if not, what is the pattern name and source (book name, magazine, etc.)  It might help to look at the pattern pic (but don't post the pic here, that's a copyright violation) Which direction are you working the sleeve, top down or bottom up, and where in the sleeve  is this instruction happening?

If you are working top down, you'd be adding stitches to each end of the rows, usually near the top and at the underarm area if this is a set in sleeve (the top flat part would be bell shaped, usually).  I'm not visualizing why you'd be slip stitching into the end of rows; this would happen on the sleeve opening part at the underarm but at the beginning of rows, or the sleeve cap underarm (also at row beginnings) if you were working the sleeve bottom up, but you said you're working flat, then in the round, so that would be top down.

It is not a free pattern it's an Interweave magazine pattern, It's called Marcy Tee and is also on Ravelry. The sleeve is worked from the shoulder of the armhole opening down and the slip stitch is worked as it is filling in the armhole at the end of the rows (I hope that makes sense).

Ah, interesting.  I see holes around the armholes to compliment the eyelet fabric of the rest of the sweater's stitch pattern , so this must be what is going on at the spot you are questioning.

I've never done a contiguous sleeve before in knit or crochet, which I think is what you are describing (making the front and back, and instead of the sleeve being a separate piece and seamed in, is made back an forth from the shoulder, grabbing onto the side armhole stitches as you go). 

Anyway, since it's apparently supposed to make that hole, I'd count the slipped stitch as the one to skip--that is literally the next stitch, right?

First you hdc around the armhole, then do a sc around into the hdc and then the sleeve is worked into the sc. So the slip stitch goes into the sc below where the other stitches are being worked in the row pattern, It starts at the shoulder seam and works back and forth going farther down the sleeve opening with each row.

Archived