Need help to learn single crochet

Eddiethecrocheter

Question

Hi, 

I have been trying to learn how to single crochet for almost 2 weeks now, but no matter what I do, the square I'm trying to make has millions of holes, not a nice neat piece like I see in the hundreds of tutorials I have watched. Ugh. 

I have cheap average yarn, and have been using the 5mm, 6mm and 7mm hooks but each produced these dreaded holes. I squeeze the hook under the top 2 stitches, yarn over, pull through the first 2 loops on hook, yarn over again and pull through the last loop on hook. Am I supposed to only yarn over once, or is this a different technique, slip stitching possibly? 

Thanks for any assistance, I really want to get this right before moving on, please refer to the attached pic to see the holes. 

IMG_20180216_210952.jpg

10 answers to this question

Two points generally not a bad idea to use slightly larger hook to practice but it will leave bigger holes.

Second you seem to be pulling your stitches really tight making your hole situation more challenging. It also looks like you may be losing stitches as you crochet this can happen when your stitches are tight and thus hard to find to crochet into. At end of each row you should have same number as previous row unless pattern changes.

Yes--you are slip stitching after you make the single crochet.  To sc: insert hook in stitch, yarn over, draw loop thru, yarn over, draw thru both loops on hook.  That's it!  Let us know if you are still struggling.

Yes, thanks, Granny Square, that's what I meant to say.  DUH!!  I didn't mean to confuse you more!!  It DID look like a chain stitch after your single crochet.  Sometimes you have to really look at the instructions for a stitch, because your eyes sometimes trick you!

^ What Bailey said.

Just to clarify terms - the conventional way to start a row of crochet is to make a foundation chain

You can make stitches into a chain, but chain stitches can't be made into stitches, they are made 'into the air'.  Chain stitches are used to create lacy loops, or a foundation for other stitches.  You can't make a row of SC, and then a row of chains - it would just be a big hole.  You could do something in a row of stitches like 'chain 3, skip 3 stitches, SC in next stitch' to make a lacy effect or a buttonhole gap, and then in the following row make 3 stitches into or over those chains (for the buttonhole).

A slip stitch is close to a chain.  It is the lowest in height of the stitches, and is often used for shaping (like when you are 'cutting in' the sides of an armhole for example).  There is a whole sub-crochet style called Bosnian Knitting that is really just crochet slip stitches, but in 99.999% of patterns you'll encounter slip stitches sparingly, if at all.  I'm just mentioning slip stitch because I've seen new crocheters confuse slst with chains.  A slst is made by putting the hook into a stitch, yarn over, pull thru the stitch and the loop on your hook.  The difference between slst and sc is sc has the extra yarn over.

I've just re-read your first post, where you said "I squeeze the hook under the top 2 stitches, yarn over, pull through the first 2 loops on hook, yarn over again and pull through the last loop on hook. " 

What you should be doing is "insert the hook front to back into (under) the top 2 loops of the next stitch in the row below, yarn over, pull hook thru those top 2 loops of the stitch in the row below, yarn over and pull thru the 2 loops on the hook".  STOP HERE.  The part that I crossed off above is creating a chain.

1 hour ago, Eddiethecrocheter said:

I will look more closely at videos of people demonstrating it. 

I'd like to recommend some videos that I think are very clear.  They are by Kim Guzman for the Crochet Guild of America.  http://www.crochet.org/?page=LearnToCrochet    

Archived