Same Stitch

JADiehl

Question

I am having problems with my stitch count on every row of a pattern for a baby afghan, I am always off by one stitch. I believe it is because of something in pattern called same stitch.  The pattern reads turn, chain 3, 4 dc in same stitch. I understand you turn your work then make 3 chains before using previous row to crochet in. I do not get same stitch so I am not sure where to make the 4 dc. Can you please help me. My pattern is not working and cannot move on until I can fix my problem. I am not crocheting in the round.

3 answers to this question

^what she said.  If you were working in a plain DC pattern (US terms), you'd normally chain 3 and skip the first stitch.  The reason you'd skip that first stitch in plain DC is that the ch-3 takes the place of that stitch.  So, in plain DC the ch-3, and the skipped chain, are (functionally) the same stitch.

In your pattern (it sounds like it might be a shell lace pattern perhaps?), you would count the chain 3 and the 4 DC as 5 stitches made into the first stitch.

Thank you so much for your responses to my quarry from magiccrochetfan and Granny Square. I do believe the answer Granny Square gave me will fix my problem with the count. I have tried crocheting the row not skipping any stitches from the previous row and coming up one stitch short. I was only counting the 4 dc alone without including the chain 3. Now I will count the chain 3 as 1 stitch with the 4 dc to make 5 and that should solve my problem. I was so frustrated. Thank you.

Archived