Help needed with following a pattern

Juliet47

Question

Hi everyone, I’m a fairly novice crochet maker and I’m confused by the pattern I’m currently following. I’m making a jumper ( my first) and I’m just getting started on the sleeves. The pattern says “ Working all increases as now set, inc 1 st at each end of next and every following 4th alt row” . I really don’t know what this means. Can anyone help me to make sense of this? I feel like I’m being a bit dim and that I’ll kick myself once it’s been explained..........

Juliet

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

"inc 1 st at each end of next (row)  - this part is clear so far, right?

"and every following 4th alt row" - after you have made increases in the row described above:  make 3 rows with no increases, and increase on the fourth.  So, one, two, three, (4=INCREASE),   one, two, three, (4=INCREASE)   I like to put a stitch marker at the increased row ends to keep track; it looks like you will be increasing a total of 10 stitches, so there will be 5 sets of increases therefore stop increasing after you have 5 marked increase rows (also a good idea to count stitches at that point, if not before). 

So your pattern stitch is (UK terms) alternating DC & TR if I'm reading this right.  An increase is 2 stitches into 1, or when you are starting a row with a treble, putting a stitch into the stitch you normally would have skipped.  I would work the increases so when you continue, you keep to the pattern of DC in TR, TR in DC.

So if you ended a row with a treble, you'd want to start that row with chain 3 (to act like a treble), then DC into the treble.  This puts the chain=treble outside of the DC that was 'supposed to go' in the treble.

If you ended the row with a double...hmm.  I can think of another way, but probably the most conventional would chain1, turn, DC and treble in the first stitch.  That puts the DC on the outside of the treble which is 'supposed to go' into that first DC stitch.

Archived