boys outfit.

blujeans1008

Question

hi guys.

here I am again. i need help. i hope you don't mind.

the issues i am having are with the sleeves and the shorts. well start with the sleeves. I follow the pattern until it measures the appropriate length. 2 inches, something doesn't look right though. there's no way its big enough for a 2 year old and definitely not long enough. ( I will attach a photo of the sleeve). typical way a sleeve is made is u make 2 identical pieces. u divide it halfway between the front and back pieces then it becomes folded. it is then sewed together. this sleeve does not work that way at all. HELP!!

Second is the shorts. I started the pattern. it tells me to repeat rows 2 and 3 till it measures 2 1/2 inches. then it says to decrease 2 stitches at beginning and end for next 3 rows decreasing to 47 stiches at final step. the issue im having here is i can't decrease like it says and still follow the pattern.

have any of you run into the amount of trouble i have on multiple patterns. i have heard that patterns are not written correctly. i don't know if that's the case here. let me know. I'm stuck.

let me know if you have any questions.

20180208_214040_Film2.jpg

20180208_214152_Film2.jpg

20180208_214229_Film2.jpg

20180208_220433_Film2.jpg

This is a drop sleeve, like a T shirt--there's not much shaping --it's either a trapezoid or for a short sleeve like this there's no room for shaping, so just a rectangle.  The photo of the finished item and diagram are not showing a long sleeved cardigan.  I can see by the diagram the sleeve, depending on the size you are making, is only 2-3 inches long, so as Magiccrochet fan said if you're getting gauge, it looks right.

For the shorts...have you ever made pants before?  Does the schematic make sense to you?  I know the first time I sewed a pair (fabric), it was sort of a puzzle at first.  I don't under stand what you mean that you can't increase and follow the pattern; the only thing that I can think is that since the pattern is SC, chain 1, you might have a spot where you might have to vary the pattern and make a couple of SCs together, and 'catch up' to the pattern in the next stitch or 2 - this would be in the crotch, extra SCs would be better for sturdiness anyway.

ok so i did the gauge. its supposed to end up at a 4 inch by 4 inch square correct? i came up with 4 inch by 4 1/2 inch. wide measures 4 inches length measures 4 1/2 inches. 

the issue im having with the sleeve is the typical way i know of doing sleeves is it ends up being joined together end to end and sewn together. if you need a photo of what i mean i can attach one. and when i do that there is no way a child arm would be able to fit through. anyways the measurements of the sleeve laying flat come to 5 inches end to end and just shy of 2 1/2 inches. according to the measurents on the photo it shows the sleeve at 5 and 2 1/2 so i guess i have that right. but how does it become a sleeve if i dont fold it. forgive me if i am not making much sense. comprehension is not a strong point for me.

now onto the shorts. first of all. which end am i starting from. the top or bottom. as far as not being able to decrease and keep with the pattern. if you look  at rows 2 and 3.

row 2: work 1 sc in first sc, 1 sc in first ch 1 sp. * ch 1 sk next sc work 1 sc in next ch 1 sp* rep from * to *  across work 1 sc in last sc, ch 1, turn. 

row 3 works 1 sc in first sc. ch 1, *sk next sc, work 1 sc in next ch 1 sp, ch 1, repeat from * to * across to last 2 sc, sk next sc work 1 sc in last sc, ch 1, turn.

i think i may have mis read row 2 so im gonna try making that again. but my original thinking or what i came across was that when i decreased the 2 stitches  at beginning and end of row. first of all when decreasing do i still work between rows 2 and 3 while decreasing. anyways when decreasing if i did follow rows 2 and 3. it wasnt falling in where it should like if i was supposed to end up in a ch 1 sp....i wasnt. does that make sense? but let me try redoing it and ill let you know if it works out..

am i starting at the top or bottom of the shorts? you guys are great, i really appreciate it. let me know what info you need

ok i redid the part for the shorts. when it comes time to start decreasing i fall on row 3 which requires a sc, ch 1 sk next st and sc in ch 1 sp. decreasing means to start a sc keep the 2 stitches on the hook and start the next sc and pull through all 3 correct. well the way row 3 works i cant decrease and follow the rows pattern. unless i dont skip the next chain. is that how i do that?

thanks guys

in the schematic it looks like the sleeve should be 8 inches, as it shows 4 inches from the shoulder line, so that would be 4 in on both front and back, 8 in total.  does that sound big enough to you?  if so you just need to measure your sleeve, see how wide it is, then redo it to be wider.   you can make a longer chain to start and have more sts per row to make it wider.  

Have you got the 2 'upside down flower pots' done?  (maybe bell would be a better description and easier to type out!).  Did you work out the decreases to get the stitch counts right, and do the measurements match up with the diagram?  Did you make the front and back seams (again, look at the diagram).  Where are you stuck?

Glad you worked out the sleeve!

For the shorts, what part don't you understand about the decreasing? 

If it's 'why are they shaped like that'...look at the diagram on the left...it sort of looks like an upside down flower pot in profile.  You are looking at the shorts from the side.  The wide part at the bottom of the diagram are the legs, which have to widen out to wrap around the inside of the legs.  (Not being flippant, but if it didn't do that...it would be a skirt. This was the 'puzzle' part I referred to--takes a minute to orient yourself the first time you encounter this)  You can see where it shows the front and back seams, which are on each side of the "flowerpot' from the top (waist) to just under the flowerpot rim.

The diagram on the right shows the same thing, but folded in the other direction, with the front and back seams together in the center, so you are looking at the front (or back, measurements here are the same).  The next seam you'd make would be to sew up the crotch from one inside leg to the other.

you can also decrease by just leaving a stitch unworked at the end of the row.  In some spots that might work.   Otherwise, you will have to improvise, and break the rhythm of the stitch pattern to either skip a stitch or do a sc2together decrease.  

We can't always perfectly keep a stitch pattern going when it's time to decrease or increase.  

Does the pattern say anything at all about how it expects a decrease to be made?   This might also be at the front or back of the book under Special Stitches, Glossary, or similar heading.

The sc2tog is done like this https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=754&type_id=S    It's a very common maneuver to do this, with other stitches as well---you begin 2 separate stitches, holding the last loop of each on the hook, then finish them off together.  

You aren't being difficult, but I think you have a pattern that doesn't give you much explanation of the garment construction.  I also have a harder time with patterns that don't "show" me what to do ....and for this reason my favorite patterns are not the words-only type.  But at least this one does have a schematic which is good.    Also I think you could benefit by having more background knowledge on the basic nuts and bolts of crocheting, so i would recommend reading Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman.  It is not expensive, but you can also probably get it via your local public library.  https://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Answer-Book-2nd-Solutions/dp/1612124062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518315099&sr=8-1&keywords=crochet+answer+book+2nd+edition&dpID=51q7S6Oua6L&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Also, an online quick reference that I like is the Annies site, which i linked above.  https://www.anniescatalog.com/pages/stitchguide/index.html?cid=3

ok so I think I've got it figured out. in on the 2nd row of decreasing at the end of this row i should be down to 51 st. i come out with 53.

the row I'm on is "row 2" where 2 stitches are together. no space in between. that should be counted as 2 stitches correct into 1 on each end right. why then does it only go to 53 stitches and not 51. thanks. i am getting it though. ill attach an updated photo soon

When you decrease a stitch (in all 'plain' stitches), you make 2 partial stitches which join into 1 at the top of the stitch.  If you looked at the reference Magiccrochetfan gave you, you use up 2 stitches from the row below to make 2 stitch bottoms which merge into 1 stitch top.  You need to count the tops of the stitches.

In your stitch pattern, which is sc, chain 1, skip 1, you could decrease 2 ways: (1) to avoid gaps (for stability, and this is in the crotch area) I personally would treat the chain 1 skip 1 as if there was supposed to be SC there instead, and SC2tog for the decrease.  Because the second stitch was of the decrease was 'supposed to be' a chain and skip 1, the following stitch after the decrease would also be a SC.  (2) An easier way, but would be gappier, is just to not chain 1, but skip the next stitch - in other words, sc, skip the next stitch, sc in the next stitch - this decreases 1 stitch, with a  little gap.

Archived