Finding Yarn

Shirley J

Question

So this might be a silly question but .... everytime I find a pattern I like and want to try, when I search for the yarn that has been used I can't find it anywhere. It's been discontinued or it's out of stock. I believe it's the yarn used that makes the product so attractive. How do I go about finding an alternative so that the end result will be the same? Will just getting another yarn in the same weight work the same? I'm not experienced enough to know the answer and don't want to spend a lot of money to end up with something I don't like or that really doesn't work the same.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Sometimes it is simple enough to figure out a substitute by reading the pattern, looking at the picture and swatching some alternatives.  Yarn colors get discontinued all the time so I often have to find a substitute from a different brand that gets close. 

It can be more complicated when you don't know much about the original yarn.  I run into this will doll clothes where people have found a specific yarn they loved but either was then discontinued or extremely limited in availability.  The first thing I do is try to contact the designer to see if they have some insight to what yarn would work as a substitute, why this yarn was a good fit if they don't have specific suggestions, etc.  The more information you can get the easier it is to find a substitute.  For instance sport weight can mean a variety of things depending on vendor, but if the designer can give you available yarns that are similar it gives you a start at finding a yarn match.

When that isn't an option another thing you can try is to look for patterns that are similar and look at what kinds of yarns they use.  

To answer your question getting something in the same weight isn't always the solution to your problem.  The texture, the materials, etc. can change the way the pattern emerges.

Its not a silly question at all.  It is something most of us have struggled with at some point.  The weight categories are ranges, so there can be a lot of variation within a category, plus the other factors as Bailey said.  Theres a site called yarnsub.com that can be helpful but it is not exact.  

To avoid wasting a lot of money, buy just one skein of a yarn so you can swatch and see if you can get gauge, whether you like the fabric, etc.   dont buy a projects worth til you know those things.

but for many kinds of projects we do not have to exactly get gauge, like a blanket doesnt have to be an exact size, so a lot of different yarns will work.  

And you can always post here to ask for yarn ideas for a specific pattern.  

Oh, also, are you open to ordering online?  That will give you a lot of alternatives when a yarn isnt available in stores.  

On the ravelry stash page, be sure you click on Will trade or sell, to see ones people are actually wanting to part with https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/red-heart-boutique-midnight/stashes?status=trade&cf=%3F&photoless=0&search=

i have had some luck finding yarns just by googling the name of the yarn, for example i did that just now and there is some on amazon but i do not know if it would be the color you want.  

I would imagine it will be fairly easy to match gauge, and some on Yarnsub look to me like they are worth trying.   But my big concern would be the color pattern as it will look totally different without the stripes of well coordinated colors.  And that will probably be hard to find.   Maybe Red Heart customer service could recommend something of similar weight and colorway, if you email them.   However if you  think you will like it in a solid color, that should be not too hard to substitute.  

Archived