Too many stitches on bottom rows!

niclci

Question

So I'm very new to crochet, only been doing it for a couple years on and off, and I really am only comfortable with a slipknot chain and single stitch.

I started a blanket, just something to do while traveling, and I'm about a 1/3 of the way done with it. I haven't really been keeping an eye on the piece as a whole, my first mistake, and noticed that I missed an end stitch at the bottom on one side.

Long story short, is there any way to redo the work at the bottom without having to undo everything I've done so far or is it a lost cause?crochet.thumb.jpg.36a2cb930e533389d3f00955c411ecd4.jpg

2 answers to this question

It looks like you were good until about row 5, and then lost an edge stitch.  This is a common problem for beginners. 

There is no quick fix, and I hate to say this but you are going to have to rip back.  And it looks like chenille yarn, which is rather a bear I understand, to rip (I've never used it, I hope I'm wrong in your case).

It's a really good idea to count your stitches, which isn't as burdensome as it sounds.  If you can learn to 'read' your stitches, you can look at the edges and tell where you've gone wrong.  Take a look at the beginning, where it looks right, and pick a stitch 3 stitches from the edge.  Follow that stitch up, to the stitch made into it, then the stitch made into THAT stitch, and so on...if the number of stitches from the end ceases to be 3, you have a problem.  A famous knitter once said to stop and admire your work frequently so you spot mistakes before you get too far past them - works for crochet, too.

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

It looks like you were good until about row 5, and then lost an edge stitch.  This is a common problem for beginners. 

There is no quick fix, and I hate to say this but you are going to have to rip back.  And it looks like chenille yarn, which is rather a bear I understand, to rip (I've never used it, I hope I'm wrong in your case).

It's a really good idea to count your stitches, which isn't as burdensome as it sounds.  If you can learn to 'read' your stitches, you can look at the edges and tell where you've gone wrong.  Take a look at the beginning, where it looks right, and pick a stitch 3 stitches from the edge.  Follow that stitch up, to the stitch made into it, then the stitch made into THAT stitch, and so on...if the number of stitches from the end ceases to be 3, you have a problem.  A famous knitter once said to stop and admire your work frequently so you spot mistakes before you get too far past them - works for crochet, too.

Damn, I didn't think so but I figured it was worth a shot.

I'm bad at counting the stitches so I've been meaning to get a couple of stitch markers for the ends just to make sure I don't lose it on the edge. That's a really good technique though, I'll have to try that! I'll keep an eye on my piece from now on but I'm not going to frog it since the blanket's pretty much a practice sheet for me

Either way, thank you for the reply and the 3 stitch advice!

Archived