Prevention of Stash Infection

I was reading blogs on WordPress this morning and came across this post on "Material Thoughts". She had me snorting coffee. Here's a snippet from the post. If you'd like to read more go to her blog, Material Thoughts.

"So, I wondered– what would actually make me pause before buying yarn that I thought I wanted? What would prevent me from doing it?

Ok, I thought, what if there was a (voluntary) International Stash Offenders list which all of the yarn shops and online stores had access to? And what if, when anyone on the List ordered or bought yarn, the vendor was required to unskein and tangle up every yarn that the offender was purchasing?

If they did that, then these people (including me) would know that when their yarn arrived, they would have to spend many hours untangling it. It would not be beautiful to behold right away. It would not lend itself to being nice displayed in a photo or drawer until the untangling had occurred. It would be a mess!

This would definitely be a deterrent, don’t you think?

In reality, there will never be such a list. But, as we can imagine such a thing, maybe we can use the idea to help cull our stash."

Since I buy from the big stores they don't have time to stop me.  My spare bedroom is sadly a yarn room that is expanding into the living room.  I had it tamed some what at Christmas back into the bedroom but it's creeping out again.

Funny article. THAT will not happen to me either- Nuh-uh! When my DH wants to take the car out of the garage, he has to get me to hold back all the yarn tumbling out of the plastic storage bins just so he can get in the driver's side! He thinks I have a monster out there, but, to me it's my pet. He also doesn't want to know how much yarn and art supplies I have in my little studio. :lol

My yarn has almost swallowed my home!!!  There are bags of it in both enclosed porches, the bedroom, the living room, the den, the basement AND the garage!  And don't even get me started on the places outside my home!  We have a large TV cabinet my hubby remodeled into a yarn storage cabinet, that I keep at our Senior Center, just for our Froggers Crochet Club use, and 2 cars with bags of yarn always coming and going somewhere!  (Well, you never know when a roadtrip will pop up, and you need your yarn!!)  

Add-on:  I almost forgot--we have a garage with yarn stuffed here and there, too!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived