Are the instructions correct?

Question

I am making this sweater: http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/adult-crochet-crew-neck-pullover.html?id=201109

I have made it to the front section but now I'm wondering if the directions are correct or if I'm reading them wrong. Regarding this statement:

FRONT
Work from ** to ** as given for
Back. - {So here I'm thinking I'm supposed to do the same as I did when I made the back (which had 73 stitches for large) But the pattern says 53 stitches. )}

Cont even in pat over 49 (53) sts until armhole measures
8 rows less than Back to shoulder,
ending on a WS row.

When doing the back there are 73 stitches. Is this a typo or am I doing something wrong.

I would really appreciate some expert help on this. Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

The pattern is correct, at least on this instruction.

Notice the " ** ".  For the back, the ** starts with the ribbing, and ends in the middle of the 'shape armholes' section.  So you work the same as the back; they are identical until you come to the spot on the front where you need to make the neckline.

Edited to add - just to be clear, the 'middle of the armholes' has fewer stitches than what you start with at the hem.

Edited by Granny Square

So for some further clarification - where it says continue  in pattern until armhole measures 8 rows less than Back to shoulder - what does the Back to shoulder mean?

Also, the next step would be to finish with a ws and then start with rs where I will pattern across for 20 sts ( which would leave 33 stitches that I won't work) on the same piece. Is this correct?

Look at your back piece that you have made.  Make sure it looks like the diagram at the last page of the pattern.  Let me rephrase the line you are questioning, the instructions aren't wrong but hopefully this will be a little clearer "work in pattern until armhole is 8 rows below the shoulder edge that you made on the back piece". 

The number of rows from the armpit to the shoulder need to match on the front and back so it will come together properly when you sew it together, and match with the sleeves.

The stitches that you don't work will be the lower edge of the front neckline. You will be shaping these in 2 halves, first one then the other, in shorter rows than across the body to leave the neckline open.

Edited by Granny Square

Can I ask another question regarding this pattern. I have now made the front piece. I am working on the shaping the shoulder section. I have done them both but it doesn't make sense. One side has six stitches with 8 left unworked and the other side has 8 stitches worked with 6 unworked. I don't understand how this can come together. I work both from the rs

I started each side with 14 stitches.

Shape left shoulder: Next row:
(RS). Skip first 8 sts.
Join yarn with sl st to next dc.
Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as last sl st. Pat
to end of row. Fasten off.

Shape right shoulder: Next row:
(RS). Ch 1. Pat across first 8
 sts. Fasten off. Leave rem sts
unworked.

I have frogged this a few times now and come out with the same thing.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm coming to the same conclusion.  I would default to shaping it so it comes out matching the back shaping, since we are only talking about the last row of the front shoulders, and the front and back shoulders will need to match up to sew together..