CraftyHooker

Making YouTube tutorials from FREE patterns.

I am going to start making YouTube tutorials and was wondering about crocheting FREE patterns on my channel. Obviously you cannot make a tutorial from a paid pattern but are there any restrictions or is there anything I can or cannot do when making a tutorial from something else's FREE pattern? I will post a link to the original written pattern so the creator will get the credit, of course. Other people make tutorials from Red Heart or Lion Brand patterns for example, I just don't want to get in trouble before I even get started! Lol

I strongly suggest that you get permission from the pattern writer before you do this.  If I wrote a pattern and posted it on my blog at no charge, I still retain the copyright to that pattern,  That means that I have the rights to how the pattern is reproduced and distributed, which (I assume) would have to include video.  Whether a pattern is offered for free or not makes no difference, nor does it make a difference if the author doesn't put some sort of disclaimer on her pattern that it is under copyright - putting it out there makes it so.  Most patterns published (in any form) after the early 1920s are probably still under copyright.

• Like 1

It kind of falls under the realm of why when I blog I can write about the pattern, show what I made with the pattern, discuss my challenges, etc. with the pattern, but I legally can't share the pattern with my readers, I can only provide a link to where they can download the free pattern themselves or buy the pattern should they wish to do so.  It might be worth contacting some of these people.  They might be interested in some free publicity.  However, just taking their pattern and publishing it openly seems to cross the line into taking their pattern and reproducing it without permission.

• Like 1

I agree with the other two ladies. Get permission first. Many authors of patterns, especially free ones, do not want the pattern redistributed in any form, they just require a link back to their pattern.

Youtube tutorial videos seems to me to be one of those redistributions.

I would not object if you used my patterns but they are mostly doll clothes.

I think you should get permission first but I like the idea.