Joining squares question

xSarahx

Question

Ive been worried about this all thru my project and I can't find an answer anywhere because I have a pretty specific question. I'm doing a blanket in squares. I know that getting all the squares to the same size is very important. But I absolutely cannot get all my squares to be exact. Some are a quarter inch smaller than they should be. Will that make my project look bad once it's put together? I did it in acrylic yarn. All my squares are supposed to be 8 by 8. But some are 8 by 8 or 7 and 3/4 by 8 and Visa versa, or even 7 and 3/4 by 7and 3/4. Is that to much variation?

3 answers to this question

I think it will be ok because that is a pretty small variation.    Go ahead and join several together, then wash that and see how it looks.    If it is ok, great.  If not, post again and tell us more about the pattern and yarn you used.

Hello again!  The only thing I can think of is that there might be some puckering; maybe 1/4" isn't enough to matter. If you have some sewing pins, maybe pin a small square between a circle of bigger ones and see if it lays flat.

How are you connecting them?  I'm guessing not "as you go" since it sort of sounds like you have a bunch of separate squares. Perhaps if you chose a joining method that isn't a plain seam, that has some chains going on between the squares, it might let the squares 'float' and sort of even the sizing out.  

edit - some joining methods here http://www.mooglyblog.com/join-crochet-squares/

Yes it seems to be wrinkled in some spots especially the ones that I did that are thicker. The ones that I had to stitch around posts are giving me the most heartache. I haven't joined them yet, but the book uses a whip stitch. I've never joined squares it's my first time so idk what would be best. Thanks for the tip I will look into it and I'm definitely willing to do anything that has the most pleasing result! The project I'm doing is 63 different patterns so I've had to really ponder and "frog" until I've gotten to a point in my work that I'm even remotely satisfied with lol. All I have made before this was a sc  baby blanket and the very popular shell stitch baby blanket. But I'm a trooper, and I have the patience of a monument. I will eventually get this right. Because I love it.

Archived