Blocking

Question

Hello. Okay. I have a few questions regarding blocking. First things first. I cannot come up with a consistent answer on acrylic blocking... Does it work? And is it a permanent affect? I'm working on a huge project (63 pattern stitch heirloom Afghan) and I may be new to crochet, but, I know the specified gauge don't apply to every square there's just no way. In the directions it does say that some of the squares will really benefit from blocking. On the internet I'm finding a lot of ppl saying acrylic won't block. But the book I am going by states that the designer used red heart.(acrylic) my question is, can acrylic be blocked or can't it. And why is there so many varying answers on the subject? Thanks

7 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!  

Please dont assume the gauge doesn't apply to all the squares!   You do need to make all of them the same size, as much as possible.  No blocking can correct significant size differences.  

I think there are different answers because people have different levels of the work they want to put into finishing a piece.  To me the whole point of acrylic is that it is easy to launder so all I ever do is machine wash and dry....sometimes I take things out while still a bit damp and lay flat to dry, but that's it for me.   

Also you may find different specific acrylics respond a little differently, and blends of acrylic and other fibers will be different too.  

Natural fibers block with water, and can be re-blocked bigger or smaller (to a point).  Acrylic is plastic, can be deformed (pre-melted) permanently into a limp, non-stretchy, non- reversible thing with indirect heat.  I wouldn't recommend blocking 1 square here and there to try to re-size it.  Blocking with heat is also difficult to get it just right without ruining it.

If you have a square that is a bit small add a border of sc around it.  Or if too big or small, re-make it with a smaller/bigger hook.

Try making a swatch with some scrap acrylic and see what happens.  I do not recommend it.  (edit, I just re-read this, what I meant is that I recommend swatching and trying to 'kill' it to see what happens, but I suspect you'll agree with me that it isn't a good idea)

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you for the reply. Yea I'm worried about blocking the acrylic because of things I've read about it being easy to ruin your project. I found where a lot of ppl have done this same project on ravelry and they to had to use G,H,J and even sometimes k hooks to achieve the specified amount of stitches in each square adding up to 8 by 8. In hindsight I wish I would have took on some smaller projects for a while longer because this blanket will be 6 ft long at the end and I've had to frog idk how many squares being a newbie in all. But I'm sure I'll love it when it's done after all the blood sweat and tears I've put into it regardless of the little quirky and hinky spots. I will definitely try the adding extra sc around the outside. Thank you for the tip. 

You didn't say which acrylic brand you're using, so I'm going to assume red heart. Heirloom squares with all the different stitch patterns will create different size squares. Magic & G.S. are right that you've just got to do your best to get them as close as possible to the same size.

One of my first big projects using a pattern, required panels that changed color every other row ... 6 colors in all. I need 10 panels, the same size, 6 ft. long. It took a ton of ripping and 17 panels (and many months) to get 10 similar in size. It was so worth the frustration! 

One thing I learned is that red heart and caron are not good with yarn thickness. One color of super saver or pounder can be very thick and a different color very thin. Differences have to be accommodated by changing hook sizes.

Yes! It's red heart. I apologise for not giving all the specifics. I'm still learning. And this craft is really really specific lol. I'm using claret, and caffe latte and a off white color it's Aran 1313( I think) the red claret is very thick and scratchy. The other 2 are more silky and thin. The white seems to be thinner than the brown. So I've been using 3 different hooks. I also just realized that the 3sc corner of my edging aren't EXACTLY in the corner of some squares due to stitch variation in the patterns So I've been going back thru and adjusting that issue and it's helped a lot. Thank you for the reply. I'm coming g to learn that this seems to be a popular first project. I think I'm also learning that I shouldn't call them all squares too???? Because they aren't worked in the round like a granny( a few are), should I be calling them panels or blocks instead?

• Like 1

Motifs maybe?  There's a sort of blanket style that's worked in lengthwise strips, I'd call those strips panels.  I think everyone would know what you meant if you said squares tho, maybe a geometry teacher would make a fuss...funny, I just googled '63 afghan' and google suggested a search for 63 square afghan.  

A name is just something you attach so others know what you mean, right? We knew you meant a number of objects all x" by x", no matter the method used. So square, motiff, block all work as names. 

Yes, the claret is scratchy fresh off the skein. It gets super soft after multiple washing/drying. :)