Not sure about instructions

Shirley J

Question

I posted this question but I'm not sure if I did it in the right place so I"m reposting. I'm working of this pattern -

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/adult-crochet-crew-neck-pullover.html?id=201109  

Under the section Shape armholes: when it says cont even in pat over 51 stitches ... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to chain 1  or 3 at the beginning of each new row or if I'm supposed to make my sc in the turning stitch.

The pattern I've been following is row 2 and row 3

I appreciate any help.

5 answers to this question

So, under shape armholes you are re-attaching the yarn in a specific stitch depending on the size, chaining 1 and starting with a SC, then you work across until there are a certain number of stitches remaining (51 stitches as you said), stop, and turn.  

Your stitch pattern seems to be 1 row of alternating DC and SC and the next row of all DC.  In this section, you will follow the directions exactly as they are in the Back section, where it says 'proceed in pat as follows.'  It's exactly the same, just over fewer stitches.

OOPS!  Apologies for causing confusion, I totally misread, the second row also alternates dc and sc.  But it doesn't change my answer, just follow the direction under the back section of how to start the rows.  The reason the 2 rows are different, is because 1 row starts with a sc, and the other starts with a dc.  The number of chains 'goes with' the first stitch in a pattern (usually).  The chain is for bringing your hook up to the level of the next row, so sc is a short stitch and only needs 1 chain; dc is taller so needs 3 chains.

Archived