Almost done with first project! Need help with last row, please.

Shawlmaker

Question

I'm so excited I'm nearly done with my wheelchair shawl (not totally perfect), and I've found my recipient--a beautiful red-haired woman about to undergo a mastectomy.

So, I've nearly completed the next to last row, but am stuck on the last sentence. If I stitch clear across to the last dc, where does the last set of instructions fall into place? Maybe I've totally screwed up.

Row 29: dc in next dc, ch 1, skip ch 1 space, dc in next dc, *ch 1, skip 1 dc and dc in next st, repeat from * to V st in previous row, ch 1, V st in ch 1 space of V st, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc repeat from * across row to last dc. Ch 1, skip ch 1 space, dc in next dc, dc in last dc and in top of turning ch, ch 2, turn

Final row: dc in each dc and ch 1 space across, end off, weave in ends

shawl.thumb.jpg.cd15e66320b1798e9cfdc4e26cd5f2b3.jpg

15 answers to this question

In your current row, it looks like you are making DC, ch 1, skip 1, which follows the first part of the instruction - OK.  What I'm not seeing are any V stitches in the row below, except 1 possibly right ahead of the point you stopped.  If that's the case, there's too much further instruction ahead of you on row 29.  So...this may not be right, but I think I'd just end it in way that mirrors the stitches at the beginning of the row.

I remember you :) I just didn't know/remember which pattern you settled on.

So, you worked back and forth from the neckline out, adding rows at the hemline, and now you are working the border.  You've worked across the hemline in this eyelet border stitch, and are about to turn a corner (not turn to the backside, just keep going same side facing but around a corner) to work the vertical line that heads up to the neckline, working into the sides of the stitches.

And I guess what I thought was a V stitch at the corner is really 2 DCs.  OK.

I'm just talking myself through this to make sure I'm visualizing this correctly, and I'm scratching my head as well.  Looking at the photo, the eyelet runs across the bottom and up both of the front edges.  It doesn't tell you to work into the edges of the stitches of the fronts, it also doesn't tell you to work around the neckline edge (which I'd think would have to be short stitches like SC).  I can't see how you would complete the edging from the one side of the hem and both fronts, and not going around the neckline, without breaking the yarn somewhere.  You'd be missing the other front.

I'm evidently missing something, since in the comments others wrote that they finished it per pattern.

If I were doing this, I'd probably work up the first front in pattern (working into the edges of the stitches),  work across the neckline in sc (for the neckline, you'd be working into the underside of the foundation chain), work back down the other front to get where you started this row/round. Then turn and work the last round, probably slip stitching across the neckline.  Note - I'm ignoring that there should probably be decreases in the neckline to make it easier, and 1 row of SC and slip stitches won't make much of a difference. 

However, my improvisation is not what the pattern says, so evidently I'm missing something - would like to see how others weigh in. 

Edit - I just looked at projects at Ravelry, I didn't read all of them but didn't any who thought the pattern was wrong, so I'm missing something.  However, some left off the border, and others obviously worked around the neckline (border was different color).  Also, FYI many added a button at the neck, saying that an eyelet served as a buttonhole (one person added ties in lieu of button).

A lot of people on the other site didn't do the edge, either.  Who's going to know?

Or you could just go a couple more stitches to the bottom corner corner, turn and put the solid row of DCs at the bottom and it would work too, to give it a more solid edge. 

Or if you are feeling even more ambitious, the above plus a row of SC up one front, around the neck, down the other front would work as a nice finish.  Normally one would put 2 SC into 1 DC when working into the side; if you put 2 SC around the post of each DC, it would mimic the eyelet holes on the bottom (because doing this creates a little gap-usually people split the strands when working into the sides to avoid this, but in this case it could be a design feature).

I promise I won't send the crochet police to check up on you!

Have a Happy New Year!

Ladies, I did it! Dang it was hard. Last 2 rows were improvised. I still have some tweaks. I'm excited to be able to give the shawl to a red headed lady about to undergo a mastectomy. Thank you sooo much for all your help and kindness on my first major project! 

20180104_113429.jpg

Archived