Gauge

Shirley J

Question

I am new and have not used a gauge before. This is for a sweater. The pattern says 13sts and 11 rows = 4" in pattern. Does this mean that I am supposed to make a sample in the pattern used in the sweater? If so, then I'm not sure what stitches to use for the gauge because the stitches change. Can someone please help.

3 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!

Yes, you should do a sample, and even though it says 4", sometimes the edge stitches are a little atypical and can throw things off so I'd start with a few more stitches than 13" across and measure the middle 4 inches of stitches.  At LEAST 2-3 extra stitches on each end, or 17-19 stitches.

Most patterns will say which stitch to use on the gauge.  What is the name of the pattern you are using, is it a free pattern you can link to on the web, or at least give us the name and source so we can look at it?  I would guess that it should be giving you the gauge for the stitch that is the majority of the item - is it really that varied?

A fraction of a stitch off on your gauge can be a big deal on a sweater.  Example, the pattern gauge per stitch is 4 divided by 13=.31" per stitch.  Let's say you got 12 stitches per 4", or 14 stitches per inch--that would be .333" and .286" respectively.  Let's say that for size z, the back of the sweater is 50 stitches across.  50x.31=15.5"(the pattern gauge), 50x.333=16.65, 50x.286=14.3.  So tiny fraction differences in your gauge can make a several inch difference in your sweater (assuming the front also has 50 stitches, you'd multiply the gauge variance by 2)

The row gauge may or may not be as critical, unless it is a top-down raglan.  Usually you can make more or fewer rows to get the measurement right to fit you.

Sometimes, if my gauge is off, I'll do the math of my stitch measurement to the number of stitches in sizes above or below what I 'should' make to fit me (according to the pattern), and end up following instructions for a larger or smaller to size to get a measurement that fits me.

Thank you for answering so quickly. Yes, this is a free pattern and here is the link to the pattern - http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/adult-crochet-crew-neck-pullover.html?id=201109

From what I can tell it just says 13sts and 11 rows = 4" in pattern. Perhaps you could take a look at the pattern and let me know what I'm supposed to be using. I was also wondering.... if you crochet tighter how many sizes up in hook is it typical to go. This is supposed to be an easy pattern. I thought I could get my feet wet with it but I feel like I"m already starting to drown. Thanks for your help.

46 minutes ago, Shirley J said:

Thank you for answering so quickly. Yes, this is a free pattern and here is the link to the pattern - http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/adult-crochet-crew-neck-pullover.html?id=201109

From what I can tell it just says 13sts and 11 rows = 4" in pattern. 

Hi and welcome from me too.  the direction to do the swatch in pattern means to use the "pattern stitch" which in this case is to alternate sc and dc, then on the next row you sc into the dc and dc into the sc.  

Archived