katyallen8090

granny squares for those that need them jan 2018

2,399 posts in this topic

thank you sandra the paddy greens will go out this week!!

well i liked all the ideas  too  and was doing more thinking lol and if we all take turns picking the different contests or  themes each month along with or without prizes it would absolutely keep us busy  see the prob im having  is there are   so many of us that arent arent collecting squares anymore now bgs, mary  jo me pineknot, lovin2crochet,  carol. lea  gone lacy is absent as is katybug and more  so we really need to expand our horizons a bit lol     if  it happens to be you are he prize donor for the previous month then you get to pick the activity for the next month or something so all of us will get a say in our next theme   at one time or another lol  we could make a schedule for all of us founding members i think it might work and   advertise on the thread or in our siggys d that every month is different !! i dunno some of you i sense are not quite on board with these new  ideas and im thinking i wonder why lol  butt o each his or her own  i guess Some of you i haven't heard a peep about it neither yay nor nay   i know for  almost sure the bday thing is going to be history for sure though  no bdays much anymore that take squares and unless between now and then it wont be on the fist post anymore lest we get quite a few newbies  you all can still do it if you  want,  but it will not be promoted so much anymore on the thread  or the  center of our thread after dec this year  again not written in stone but leaning that way lol well we still have time for other ideas ladies just like voting if yo dont weigh in   you have no voice  and no right to complain as handy says lol   there are endless possibilities to keep it fresh each month plenty of us to split the prize sponsor thing if we so chose to add a little motivation lol and i dont see a down  side  those that arent with us anymore have most of them probably chosen not to be but maybe we would all meet up in a newly named thread huh  who knows??  and we can still contribute to those still collecting squares during the month  im just trying to think of things may be to draw others in you know  so thanks for everyone that has suggested ideas and such they all or have all been good!!

some people feel funny about joining us as they cant send out and there for dont comeback i think too   some are gone cos of being kicked off, sick, or lost track of us im sure  maybe a new thing would renew their mojo or spur them into the habit of checking in more lol     

i too am working hard folks to keep us alive to grab that life saver and haul my drowning self out of the deep blue lol  and take as many survivors with me as i can lol  :help

1 person likes this

Hi all. I was having trouble finding the thread, but here I am. We are all doing pretty good. Miss Jade is potty training now Yay! I had a weak moment and chopped all my hair off :( really wish I hadn’t but it will grow back. Planning on putting some more of my squares together this weekend. 

7FA9E4A8-C995-409B-8C03-2DD01CD622EB.jpeg

B1456952-842E-42C2-A376-853522285D80.jpeg

34010998-E9C7-40EE-B086-CC05D401CFF3.jpeg

2F1D7A42-E635-4313-928D-C4A228F64569.jpeg

363FC79A-11C5-4A94-99BA-A83A06503D07.jpeg

Boy has Jade grown.  Enjoying all the photos.  I like the hair cut----should feel good not having that hair in this miserable heat and as you said it will grow back.

This is literally the first chance I have had to sit down and get on line today.  I only got a couple of hours of sleep last night.  Dh took me to be with my sis today so niece could go to work and not worry.  I thought sis was doing ok but we woll see as her first pt was this evening.  She kept me so busy keeping track of medicine times, eating when she needed, icing her knee,making soup, laundry, following her when she was up and about, fetching and carrying things.  She had diet coke in the fridge for me and I kept thinking I was getting one first chance I got.  After a couple of hours I thought I had misplaced the can I started.  I couldnt find it in the kitchen where I always leave it and retraced all my steps.  I was sure I started one but gave up looking and grabbed another cause I was thirsty.  Sis finally texted niece who said she only put two in the fridge so I never opened and misplaced one. Dh picked me up. We stopped for supper and stopped at Aldi.  Finally got groceries put away.  Thought I was ready to chill out but just thought of some more things I need to do.  Dh is going to drop me off again tomorrow.  Sis told me tomorrow we are going to shower.

Also found out sis #2 is scheduled for hip replacement July 24.  

Katy I dont want to jump into things too fast and us wind up trying to do too much too fast only to have it all flop. I want to figure out things I can do and I havent had time much time to think lately.  I think everyone needs time to look over the ideas (keep them coming) think and decide what they would be comfortable doing.  I am really dreading what the next 12 months have in store for me.    One sis just had knee replacement, another scheduled for hip replacement, dealing with dh retiring in Aug, me trying to get by til dh retires (some days I dont see well enough to be comfortable driving) getting this place in shape, getting rid of most all my things, and moving.  I have been telling dh before its all through I will probably give up crocheting.  

Edited by bgs
1 person likes this

Immafreek, your eyes are more expressive with the short hair,jmho

seems our friends or our house at the ville is just a gathering of support and talk,without doing other things

I'm in a goofy mood,well its midnight,but the name that came to mind was life support,lol,I know not great in taste dept,sorry.

2 people like this

Good Morning.

Love the scarfs.  They look so cool.

Miss Jade is just adorable.  I love the shorter style, and yes as Brenda says, it will be much cooler in this heat.

Katy, the only problem with picking out something every month, is that not everyone likes to get involved.  I have seen it with the wish list.  It is always the same people who post and who give.  As you said, some can not.  I am a doll person, not everyone wants a doll, even if it is specialized to something they like.  I come here to meet with friends and if I need it, advice on patterns and support.  I agree with Brenda, don't jump in, but also, don't give up on collecting ideas. 

Oh Brenda, don't give up crocheting.  Cut down if you like, but don't give anything away.  Just pack it up, but keep it where you can find it.

I must of missed something in my reading.  Did you find a place you like?  Oh and now the fun begins.  We went from two cars down to one, when Tampa Guy retired.  Now I can't remember when the last time I drove.  He takes me every where and I don't have to deal with the traffic or trying to park the car.

I want you all to see my try for this month.  Most of the ornaments were made for me by Brenda.  There are some from others, but the most is from Brenda.  DH walked by yesterday when I finished, and said "How Beautiful".

So HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to one and all.

July 2016 Table009 (2).JPG

July 2016 Table010 (2).JPG

4 people like this

good morning

yes,another steamy day in the neighborhood,Mary Jo,your tree is so beautiful

have a wonderful day everyone

1 person likes this

Good morning!

I accomplished a lot yesterday and plan to get a lot of stuff done today as well. I've been up and finished up some paper work. Read my scriptures and journaled some.will do more later on.

Everyone is still in bed. Humans and fur babies!

Thought I would jump on here and say hi .

Hope everyone stays cool!

1 person likes this

Hello.

Mary Jo, your tree is beautiful.

Brenda, please don't give up crocheting, you do such wonderful work.

ImmaFreek, your hair looks great and pictures are great too.

Hi Sandra and Lyn.

Katy, I like your ideas but I know sometimes life gets a little crazy and its hard for everyone to keep up and/or participate. I'll keep thinking about all of it too.

Not much going on here, I'm doing a little mending on the sewing machine but we might need to take a ride to Joanns for some sewing thread and elastic.

Hope everyone has a great day.

2 people like this

poor brenda i think you are overwhelmed young lady and this talk about changing the thread a bit right now is just an added worry for you so please dont ok all will work out  we can try and  fail but we cant fail to try can we lol  just a thought but dont stop crocheting ok you would regret it  sometimes its what keeps me going  that was one reason i fought to get back to you all, all along thinking the thread would be gone  thank goodness you good people were still here!!  lol i feel your pain and sympathize with you  and remind us all what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right can your sis afford rehab, or does her ins cover in home care or pt that come to you home, i know my sis had medicare and it covered rehab and pt at home    and now the other sis sheesh   no wonder you are overwhelmed  i know i was with one sis in the hospital and one gone and brother in law too,  bout the same t\imes and i was lost for a while too could not even fathom daily lifefor a while  

as for everyone having s a say that was kinda the point mj           

that everyone would have a hand in themes and voting and prizes i guess as i know some of you would like that others might not so much  who knows what will come i dont  nothing is   

engaved in gold bullion yet  ( but i do have or found my engraver lol) now where did i pile up those gold bricks again?? lol  

lacey love the cut your eyes are lovely and i think the cut brings them out!! Jade and the rest of the family look well and happy so do you!! Good to see updates bow and then!! as for the thread it has not changed just problems in general or what?? how is sis katiebug these days?? 

well lyn i think support for other members should be present in every thread and it seems to be mostly  it is a part of what we are certainly as human beings that grows too with the closer we all become as friends 

, and i hope will remain so   if this new idea i had doesn't sit well with you all i wont do it at all or open a new thread to do it is an option  im afraid of failing too bgs but more afraid of failing to not try my best and not trying anything at all kind of you know  if it fails it fails but there is a 50 percent Chance it might succeed too  so heads up shoulders back ladies, this strife too shall pass    

mary jo tree is so special!! love the work you put into it and showing us too  nice job lady  

Bgs we're with you through all your troubles and stresses here or elsewhere no matter what the thread does no worries ok i personally know life gets busy sometimes carol,  trust me lol 
well with these words of encouragement, this concludes our  pep rally for now so i will leave you to your own devices ladies  think at will eat sleep and crochet  daily and keep the faith!!  i love that you all wore those short little  skirts with kick pleats to the rally so lets see some jumps lol  :cheer:applause:clap

n

Edited by katyallen8090
2 people like this

IT was like the thread was completely gone, idk why. Even when I searched for it nothing showed up. But. I found you all again so I bookmarked the page so it won’t disappear again. Haven’t heard from Katiebug in a while but Mom hasn’t said anything so I’m assuming she’s doing ok. I’ll tell her she needs to check in. 

Realized my hair is long enough for a tiny ponytail this morning YaY 😁 

image.jpg

oh cute i love that look lol  just  was thinking about you both last few days glad alls  well  thinking on dropping the bday thing in months to come so stay tuned lol for those developments ok lacey lol  it will still have granny squares some where in the name though im sure lol  someone made the sugesstion of Chatty granny square friends    we all seem to like that i think  so just a heads up lol    

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, ImmaFreek said:

IT was like the thread was completely gone, idk why. Even when I searched for it nothing showed up. But. I found you all again so I bookmarked the page so it won’t disappear again. Haven’t heard from Katiebug in a while but Mom hasn’t said anything so I’m assuming she’s doing ok. I’ll tell her she needs to check in. 

image.jpg

you are so prtety lacey  

Edited by katyallen8090
1 person likes this

I'm trying to catch up on stuff here, seems like alot going on.  Does anyone know how many members are here or have come back?

21 minutes ago, funnymom8 said:

I'm trying to catch up on stuff here, seems like alot going on.  Does anyone know how many members are here or have come back?

Actually the big problem is there is not a lot going on.  At one time this group had over 100 people listed requesting squares for friendshipghans plus there were some like me sending squares but not collecting.  If you check page 1 of this thread you can see how few of us are left here.  We are trying to come up with ideas to keep our group going.  Since the last upgrade I dont ever see the number of members online nor number of guests like I did with the old software but that may be because I use the mobile version.  From what I see  I am guessing the whole site may have 100 pretty active members and another 100 that periodically check in.  Seems like back in the good days that the record number of members on here at the same time was over 1000.  That wasnt the total number of members just the number of members that were here at the same time.  Maybe you can help us figure it out.  Not to be nosey and dont answer if you are uncomfortable and dont want to.  Why did you quit coming to Crochetville and why did you come back?  Many have just disappeared.  People quit signing up for the swaps and wishlist.  I dont know if you remember the totes Tampa Doll made and mailed out.  She stopped this year because pretty much all of us still here have one.  At the end she was having a devil of a time trying to find someone to send one to.  

2 people like this

I had stopped coming here because when the forums changed/upgraded, I had a hard time figuring things out and always trying to find whatever I wanted to read.  Then life got in the way, we moved, was busy  with family, I got sick with cancer (that's all gone now), my step dad was sick, so had to take care of my Mom (now she's in a home).  It seemed like so much was going on and I just stuck to FB.  I kept on crocheting, just so much going on all the time.  I kept trying to come back, but I'm such a lurker, never knew what to say or how to  join in conversations!  

Yes I do remember the bags.  They were really nice, alot of people were lucky to get one.  I'm sure she must've been tired of making them!

I just hope Crochetville will continue, even if its smaller than before.  I remember doing some swaps, still have a nice star afghan I recieved one year!

1 person likes this

Lacy I like this hairdo and it looks cooler yet.  

What Mary Jo said pretty well hit the nail on the head.   We need to come up with ideas that make people want to check in regularly and eventually participate.  For me I really enjoy some of what may seem like to many simple things people do like posting photos of their kids, pets, and any projects not just crochet (Lyn I love the garden photos, Lacy its always a good day when we get to see Jade, and Mary Jo I always enjoy your tree and table photos and was disappointed when you quit posting them each month.  I know you probably thought we were bored with them because they didnt change much but I always looked forward to them. So a big thank you for the July tree photo!  I like it when we share links to patterns.  I used to regularly visit some sites that posted a pattern or a link to a pattern each day.  I loved it a year or so back when several here made stockings for w4w -----seeing the different patterns we were using and ideas on decorating them.  It may not seem like much to you when doing these things so its easy to not do them  but it can mean the world to some one else.  Mary Jo I have missed Tampa Guy's periodic posts. I love his sense of humor.  I have been a little worried about him so I am glad to hear he drives you around.  Shoot last year even dh was very worried about both of you when you were missing because of the hurricane.  In fact he always asks me whats Tampa Doll up to today and I tell him Oh she wasnt on today.  She doesnt make it on everyday like she used to.  And good for you Katy our cheerleader.  I check daily for your peppy posts.  Its not that I am not wanting to try things for fear of them failing.  I just dont want to try too much too fast from the standpoint of overwhelming people trying to help or diluting out the pool of people wanting to participate.  

I think the wishlist has gone well this go round.  Lets work to keep it going.  I like having ideas on what to send people.  I need to go see about granting a wish.  Some really dont require much effort and there again you may never know how much it might mean to some one.   I never did swaps because I am slow but I enjoyed watching them. Takes me awhile to figure what to make find pattern decide and find yarn.  It often takes me less time to make it unless I have problems or dont like the way it looks and have to figure out how to redo it.  Then sometimes it takes me awhile to get to PO.

Mary Jo there are 3 places in the running to move to unless he changes his mind.  I just dont quite ever know when I keep hearing he would like to move to FL, AZ, New Mexico and then SD (I know he is out of his mind on that one the way he hates cold weather).  At this point in life I dont want to move far far away from my sisters nieces and nephews.  Afraid the one we think we really like might not really be doable even though we passed their financial analysis but we had to give them estimates.  Dont want to get in the situation where if something happens to one of us the other couldnt afford it.  The most doable place I had to wait til I turned 62 (this year) before I could move there.  Moving to any of them is going to require extremely difficult decisions on what to keep as space will be pretty limited.  For the past 5 years.

I knew the day was coming and have been trying to think about what do I really want to keep started thinning out the easiest stuff to part with. I try to imagine living in an apartment.  I dont remember what its like as I was a toddler when I last lived in one.  Its going to be weird after 20 years of living on 5 acres and another 40 living in houses with pretty large yards.

I have crocheted on and off mostly off through the years.  I can tell you for a fact the only reason I havent quit by now is all of you.  Seeing your charity projects has inspired me to see what I could do.  One of the problems I am having now is because I lost TC.  She spent hours on my lap while I crocheted so because of loosing her something that I used to love doing had become very painful.  I couldnt pick up a crochet hook for 6 weeks but finally got started again but its still a struggle. Then I get aggravated with dh over moving.  Through the years I bought yarn thinking I would lay in a good stash so I would have it if money got tight in retirement not planning on moving so I tell dh if I have to get rid of just one skein of yarn because of the move that it all goes and I will never crochet again.  He always says no all your yarn is coming.  

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, funnymom8 said:

I had stopped coming here because when the forums changed/upgraded, I had a hard time figuring things out and always trying to find whatever I wanted to read.  Then life got in the way, we moved, was busy  with family, I got sick with cancer (that's all gone now), my step dad was sick, so had to take care of my Mom (now she's in a home).  It seemed like so much was going on and I just stuck to FB.  I kept on crocheting, just so much going on all the time.  I kept trying to come back, but I'm such a lurker, never knew what to say or how to  join in conversations!  

Yes I do remember the bags.  They were really nice, alot of people were lucky to get one.  I'm sure she must've been tired of making them!

I just hope Crochetville will continue, even if its smaller than before.  I remember doing some swaps, still have a nice star afghan I recieved one year!

Several of us have said that we seemed to loose people with each upgrade.  The one before the last one was horrible.  The forum started blocking members like Tsmpa Doll.and Katy not once but multiple times and they had to work hard to get back.  Then we suspected some decided they would rather do fb.  Thank you for your response and thank you for coming back and joining in.

2 people like this

Happy 4th of July!

Welcome back funnymom8.

Yesterday was a very laid back kinda day. We did go to Joann's and later out to eat but other than that we didn't do much. I expect today will be pretty relaxed too. We're staying home and grilling burgers and hot dogs. We have sparklers for the kids to do tonight and I'm sure we'll be able to see some fireworks from the house. My grandson is up and asking for eggs so I will check back later.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

1 person likes this

Happy 4th everyone.

I took my shower, dressed and put my flags out.  I can now sit for a while and come to the Ville.

One reason I do not come on everyday or more than once a day, is I can not sit at the computer for long.  My leg is back to giving me trouble and I have added a couple of more aches to it.  I don't like to complain, cause I know there are those of you who have more problems than I do and most times much worse. Shoot I can't even stand long enough to color my hair, so I am going grey.

funnymom8, I was scrambling to find people who did not have a tote.  I got frustrated and it seemed like not many cared.  I know, I know, a lot of you still tried to guess who and where, but it did not have the same fun.  I was beginning to think it was the tote that was the problem.  It seemed like once someone got one, they whet puff. :rofl

I get an e-mail everyday with what everyone is posting, so I try to keep up that way.  I see how many we have lost, when I go thru the Birthday's. I marvel at the friends we have lost. 

As for Tampa Guy, he still comes, but gets frustrated with the site as it has gotten so big and confusing, and this is what I am hearing from old friends I find.

Brenda, that is what has me worried the older we get.  Can we afford this place if something happens to one of us.  We keep thinking of getting a reverse mortgage.  That way we will only have to worry about the taxes and the insurance. Well, if you want to keep DH out of Florida, here are some ideas.  Humidity, Hurricanes (mostly east coast), snakes and of course the every fun Gator.  Every place has their problems.  Be they weather, bugs or very large animals.  If he wants just hot and no humidity, he should look at NM or AZ.  Snow is definitely ND.  Heat and humidity 3 or 4 months of the year FL.  BUT, no snow and no cold, cold weather NM, AZ and Fl. Of course you would be far away from family.

I mostly crochet for charities now.  I am not sure and I have to check, but I think I will be losing the American Legion.  My SIL made a comment in her last e-mail that was a little cryptic. They are very busy today with it being the 4th and my BIL is very involved with the color guard.  I do some stocking for the W4W, I thought about making hats, but mine are always to big and anyway, I mostly have cotton yarn and I do not think they will accept them in that yarn. 

Wow this is the longest I have posted.  I am off to make breakfast and then sit in my corner and finish a doll I am working on for a friend.

Have a great day everyone.

July 2018 Table (2).JPG

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, funnymom8 said:

hi there funny mom  so glad you made it back and looking forward to getting to know you as a regular here  we are easy  to get along with lol  hope you are navigating better now too it really was confusing to all you know  glad to see you though please dont be a stranger lol you are one of the survivers of the ville changes lol and we welcome you back!!  

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, funnymom8 said:

hi there funny mom  so glad you made it back and looking forward to getting to know you as a regular here  we are easy  to get along with lol  hope you are navigating better now too it really was confusing to all you know  glad to see you though please dont be a stranger lol you are one of the survivers of the ville changes lol and we welcome you back!!  

happy fourth to all i lose my loner post but welcome back funny mom  

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, ImmaFreek said:

image.jpg

Oh, how cute! and you're such a pretty girl ~ :)   Sometimes we need a change just to feel human again, ya think?  We kinda get in a rut at times.  We could call you PEBBLES . . . whatcha think? ;)  (and I for one don't think you're a "freek", okay?  Just a "grandma's"  opinion, sweetie ~ :hug)

And BTW, your little Jade is a darling!  She's growing so fast!  Thanks for sharing pics, too.

1 person likes this

still morning 11:40

went out and deep watered,got 6 tomatoes,this is more like a bush versus a tomato plant that I'm used to,it is so compact that  its hard to get the ones on the inside of the plant

supposed to rain some later on in the day.MaryJo one August we went to visit his sister in New Smyrna area,the humidity had my legs puffed up like baloons,could hardly walk,noticed as we went north on the way home the swelling went down to nothing.

nice to see funnymomof8

have a wonderful and safe 4th of July

1 person likes this

H a p p y  4th  o f   J u l y!  everyone ~ :jumpyay  :hook  :sun  :yay

Just spending a quiet day at home, staying out of the crowds and traffic ~ :)

Oh!  we just found out that our little Bangle kitty is a girl!  She brought us a "present", her 4 wk old little kitten, another female ~ :eek  Just glad she didn't have SEVERAL babies!  Two more to the vet for fixin' ~ :D