"Fan" shaped afghan Pattern

milney

Question

13 answers to this question

Here is a free shawl pattern that is the same.  You could just make it wider or sew several shawls together.

http://www.lionbrand.com/crochet-pattern-sweet-scallops-shawl-1.html

I hope you have better luck downloading the pattern.  I haven't been able to since they changed their site.  I've changed my password, re signed up.  Nothing. 

I'm not sure, but i think maybe the original pattern shown in brown, and the Herrschners kit, are worked in strips.  I found this entry on Ravelry https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacey-scallops-demystified  and when i saw it was made in strips and sewn together i started to wonder if the original and herrschners were also sewn strips.  i can't zoom in well on the herrschners photo, but found a more zoomable photo on amazon  https://www.amazon.com/Herrschners-Venetian-Scallops-Crochet-Afghan/dp/B07733DDJF   to me it does look like it may be sewn together.  

it didn't occur to me that the blanket could be made in strips, until I saw the tutorial on Ravelry lol.  I did manage to download the Lion pattern.  Sorry to hear you are having problems w/ the Lion site, it is often frustrating to me as well.  the pattern photo is not great, but there are some good project photos on Rav 

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-scallops-shawl/people      Its worked in 2 pieces and seamed at the middle so the ends will  face the same way--i wouldn't bother to do that for a blanket, i'd just work one big panel.  

Hi again .. thanks for everyone trying to help. The partial kit I have is from Wonder Art. I have the box & 2 ply yarn but no pattern. The entire kit is for sale on e-bay but hate to spend money for entire kit. Hoping I can find a pattern that’s close. I’m not one that likes to work with afghan’s in strips either. Thanks. Janice

The Sweet Scallops Shawl that Empress Busy Bee linked to is very similar in appearance, and NOT worked in strips.

The shawl is made like this:  First half is >>>>> Then, you join at the beginning end and work in the other direction like this <<<<<, so you get <<<<<>>>>> in the end.  No sewing or strips, just making half from the center out, and the other half from the center out in the other direction.  Now, I typed single carats, that's meant to be the whole width of the shawl, not a strip of 1 fan across.

You could do the same thing with the the the Blanket, or as Magiccrochetfan suggested, just start and keep going in the same direction until you run out of yarn.  The photo in your first post looks like the end at the top of the chair is straight, and doesn't match the scalloped end at the bottom.

The shawl is 3 pattern repeats, and you start with a chain of 56.  With crochet, if you don't know the number of stitches needed to add more pattern repeats, you can just crochet to a bit beyond the width you want, turn and work back to the nearest number of repeats your chains will hold, and keep working back and forth.  Later, you can pick out the extra chains and weave the end in - it will not unravel from that direction.  

The Sweet Scallops pattern uses Aran/worsted weight yarn (which is UK 10 ply)  You mentioned 2 ply...I'm guessing looking at the photo that this is not UK 2 ply (lace) weight, but from a really old US kit, in which case 2 ply can mean almost anything.  This link has a lot of info, but you can determine the weight of your yarn by wrapping it around a ruler and finding out how many wraps per inch it is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight .  If your kit is complete yarn-wise, and the yarn is US worsted weight or lower (lower weight=thinner, more wraps per inch), you should have more than plenty for a nice sized throw (If you use finer yarn than a pattern calls for, you need more yardage to make the same sized thing; if you use bigger yarn, you need less yardage for the same size).

Hopefully this information is enough for you to work the stitch pattern of the shawl into a full blown blanket - let us know if you have any questions.

I have the pattern from the kit "Elegance" and it is made in panels. I also have the Herrschners pattern that was in The Best of Herrschners 2-Ply Afghans called "Mary's Scallop Afghan" or "Mrs. Claus Scallop Afghan"depending on what color you made it, and it is also in (9) panels. And one in a book called "Crochet for Caring & Sharing  pattern named  " Peaceful Waters Afghan" again made in panels. 

Empress Busy Bee .. you are so right.  I have been given a couple of good options.  When magiccrochetfan mentioned that the pattern had been in a free Caron leaflet, I decided to go through my patterns.  I have lots of those free leaflets.  I looked through my patterns today.  I couldn't believe it when I found that pattern.  Usually, I have everything but the one I want.  This pattern is made in strips (ick).  I guess I'll have to give it a shot.  THANKS everyone.  Janice

The copy of the pattern that I have of the "elegance" I copied (printed off from the site) originally from Crochetville in August of 2011.  Last night I sat down to read through it & I can't make it out.  The print is small plus the printer paper must have moved or something because it's really blurry.  The 3's & the 5's look alike.  I can't tell if it's chain 3 or 5 then turn or how many chains to start with (13 or 15).  Anyway, I think I'll try to find a better copy before I start.  I want to do it right.  Janice

Archived