To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2018

judianne

2 hours ago, Gardener said:

Nice projects, ladies!

MaryJo, those sorts of afghans intimidate me.  Yours looks great.  I wish it was getting warm here.......

Bailey4, such a pretty potholder. I’d be reluctant to use it!  Thread is not my friend.  Those tiny hooks hurt my hands, and so I bought some with plastic handles, (clover brand maybe?).  That helped with the hook problem....but now my aging eyes are causing problems.  I cant see those tiny stitches very well.

Judy, that’s a pretty afghan. And....no sewing together! :)

The only thread hooks that have ever worked for me are the bates bamboo because they have the big round handles and the traditional metal hooks that work with the thread.  That's why I'm so frustrated they've discontinued them.  I'm going to look at Hobby Lobby's brand because it looks like they've have a similar brand I just don't know if the hooks are bates or boye style.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first Happy Birthday:cake, Happy Anniversary:rose and Happy Valentine's Day:valday.  These are three of the great things to celebrate today.

Very cloudy here today, but the sun is trying to get out.

Thank you for the compliments on the Panda afghan.  If you are going to do a graph ghan for the first time, this is a great one.  Not many changes of color and large sections of one color.

Well Nothing exciting going on today.  We picked up our anniversary cake (46 yrs today).  We are going to have steak, stuff cod (crab meat) and all the trimmings.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone

I finally got the St. Patrick's Day Lovey posted.  I started the Leprechaun bear and finished his head yesterday.  I've been working on the thread pot holder during the Olympics.  I have 2 colors to finish and it will be done.  I always forget how much longer it takes for thread to grow into something, but I do love the color.  I'm going to get the baby bib started today, as I'm hoping to take it to the fiber group tomorrow.

Leprechaun Lovey

Hi peeps!

Happy Anniversary, MJ!

And thank you all for the compliments! Mary Jo - it's a super easy pattern - you just have to remember that UK Trebles are US double crochet! It repeats the pattern and you just have to watch one row where you don't work in the last DC. This is the third one I've made. Next one will be smaller - will shorten the starting chain.

19 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

I finished the Panda Afghan.  Now I think I will work on a monster or two, while I think what to make to go with it.

Panda Afghan (1).JPG

Panda Afghan (2).JPG

I ADORE this! I really have to make it. And you're right: with the large chunks of color there isn't too much of a yarn barf in the back with a bazillion tails waiting to be woven in!

3 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

I finally got the St. Patrick's Day Lovey posted.  I started the Leprechaun bear and finished his head yesterday.  I've been working on the thread pot holder during the Olympics.  I have 2 colors to finish and it will be done.  I always forget how much longer it takes for thread to grow into something, but I do love the color.  I'm going to get the baby bib started today, as I'm hoping to take it to the fiber group tomorrow.

Leprechaun Lovey

That is soooooo cute!

3 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

Leprechaun Lovey

Cute!

Hi everyone!

You've all been posting such beautiful pieces! I'm sorry I've disappeared lately. Last week the ick invaded my house and hit all 5 females. So I was dealing with sick kids while being sick myself. Hubs somehow managed to avoid getting sick, but as soon as I was better (Sunday night) he started feeling poorly. Ended up in the ER both Monday morning and Tuesday morning before finally confirming that he's got a kidney stone that he's going to have to pass. So...between all the various ailments of everyone in the family, I actually haven't touched yarn or hook in a bit over a week. Today is the first day back to "normal", at least in theory as he hasn't passed the stone yet so there's always the chance of something coming up with that. We're also hoping to be able to add a mother-in-law suite to our house for my mom and the very first step in that is to have the county assess our existing septic system and see what it can handle, and the first part of the test is going to be happening this morning! So much happening lately! I'm really hoping that this evening, after all the day's craziness is done, I'll be able to sit and hook. I've made a unicorn and all she needs is her eyes, which I'd love to have done tonight, and then I'll post a pic here. 

Hey Jessie,  good to see you drop in.

Sorry to hear everyone is sick, but at least you seem to be on the mend.  I have gone thru DH with a kidney stone.  They are such fun (only kidding), hope he passes it soon.

Hugs to you and good luck with the addition.

On the final color of the thread pot holder!!!  Sewing the head on of the St. Patrick's Day bear.  Once I finish the pot holder I think I'm going to work on a children's kitchen set for the donation project before coming back to the dishcloths/potholders to mail.  I'm waiting on some yarn to come in for one project anyways so a break isn't a bad choice.

I did finish my unicorn, just have to get a picture now. My girls have decided to name it Sprinkles because I gave it a rainbow colored mane. Now I'm on to making outfits and stuff for my soon to be born neice! Just realized that the baby shower is coming up and all I've done is make the baby Hogwarts blanket and I wanted to have some dresses and carseat sized blankets for her too. We did pass the inspection Wednesday morning, so that's a big YAY here, and Hubs has been feeling fine the past couple days so hopefully we're over that situation...so here's to having a totally normal, boring, nothing happening week next week so I can get back into the swing of things with my hook!! 

The thread potholder is finally finished, photographed, and posted. It will be headed off in the mail tomorrow.  The name was odd as the even the original colors weren't what I'd have thought of as Patriotic, but I did not name the pattern.

Springtime Patriotic Potholder

I'm in the home stretch with the St. Patrick's Day bear.  All his limbs are attached.  When he's done I'm holding off on the regular dishcloth/potholder project and working on a similar donation project.  I have a kids play kitchen set of mitts, dishcloths and potholders I found and want to make to add to the donation.  So that is next on my list.  I'm waiting on some yarn for the rest of the other potholders I was planning to make.

Planning on enjoying some Olympic viewing on President's Day, while hopefully finishing off the bear.

Very pretty pattern.  I will have to go and see yours.

Monster No. 1 is done.  The pattern called it Gertrude, Tampa Guy called it Gertrude the Protector.  It was fun to make and I was afraid it would be to scary, but it turned out cute.  I am sure the kids in AZ will love it.  I will not tell them the name it was give.  After all what boy wants a monster called Gertrude?

Gertrude (4).JPG

On 2/19/2018 at 11:19 AM, Tampa Doll said:

Very pretty pattern.  I will have to go and see yours.

Monster No. 1 is done.  The pattern called it Gertrude, Tampa Guy called it Gertrude the Protector.  It was fun to make and I was afraid it would be to scary, but it turned out cute.  I am sure the kids in AZ will love it.  I will not tell them the name it was give.  After all what boy wants a monster called Gertrude?

Gertrude (4).JPG

I LOVE it!! I'll bet you had fun making something so different from your usual projects.

The bear is adorable.

Thank you for the compliments on the monster.  I am now make a dog that uses size 10 thread and size 12 hook.  Well that is to small, so I used size 2 yarn and size D hook.  Not much bigger, but bigger.

I will then go back and make another monster.

Starting my crocheting for the NICU in NYC where a neighbor is a nurse.

RR was nearly finished when I had to put it aside to complete other things. and the first hat I've made in a long time.

IMG_20180221_153701078.jpg

IMG_20180221_153908016_HDR.jpg

Archived