To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2018

judianne

So....2018 is around the corner and a new year always brings with it reasons for us to get our crochet hooks (or knitting needles) moving. Not that we *ahem* yarn addicts need a reason to play!

I'll leave the 2017 thread open for a bit - but will eventually ask Admin to close it. I seem to remember I posted on the older thread last year, myself - and more than once!!

Welcome to older members of this thread and a big welcome to anyone else who wants to join us.

A refresher: we post links to patterns/designers websites if we have them and don't share any copyrighted patterns.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first project will be to finish the afghan that I had intended to give my oldest daughter for a Christmas. It is my oldest WIP, probably 10 or more years old. It was originally intended for myself, but I know my daughter will treasure it.

Wow almost 2018.

I have already finished 2 dolls and I am working on another panel for the Princess afghan.  I am working on getting the graph ready for the Tampa Bay Rays (baseball) afghan for the neighbor who watched out for us during the hurricane.

That is it on my plate now.

I finally took the pictures of my Nativity. Some of the figures were parts of the Advent calendar for my kids. My first task for 2018: animals! I need sheep and an ox - I have one but it is bigger then Joseph :lol 

5a44e1efdee6c_nativity3.jpg.f539c1a795a3d0fcc9587e81a8efbf51.jpg

I posted more pictures here https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/159969-nativity/

Hi everyone!!

I have made my starting list for 2018, did a new inventory of my current stash, pulled what I already had on hand, and used my Christmas gift money to buy the rest of the yarns I needed for these projects. I'm all set!

My first project will be a Hogwarts crest blanket that one of the ladies on a Facebook group I'm in created. Instead of the Gryfandor lion being all big and fierce, it looks like a child's stuffed toy..same with the animals for the other houses. I've been calling it the Baby Hogwarts pattern, but I'm not really sure what the official title is lol. I was planning on starting it on January 1st (because I really don't like carrying a WIP over from the previous year) and I thought everything was all set to go, because the program she used to make the graph also created a written stitch count. Unfortunately, I realized two days ago that the computer generated stitch count isn't accurate. :( So. Now I'm doing the stitch count manually. The pattern is 235 sc by 290 rows. I've got 60 rows counted. If I can do 60 rows a day, I'll still be ok to start actually working on the blanket on the 1st, so please keep your fingers crossed for me! This blanket will be a gift for my niece's first daughter, who is expected to be born in April. My hope is to have it completed for the baby shower in late February. Not sure if I'll hit that goal, as I can only work on graphs after the little ones go to bed at night, so it takes me longer to get completed.

The other projects on my list (that I now have all the yarn I need for!) include...a Harry Potter graph-ghan for myself, a dreamcatcher with feathers for a friend, a Harry Potter ragdoll for the same little baby due in April (also hoping for the baby shower gift with this), and a rainbow baby gift for a friend at church. She and her husband have lost 4 babies in the past 3 years. I asked her if she'd be ok with me making her a rainbow baby gift so she has something to hold on to until they do actually have a baby and she was very appreciative of the thought, so I'll be making a Bavarian stitch blanket using cream to alternate with 10 different colors (to make a rainbow).

Mixed in with these projects will be more stuffies for the littles at church (I have like 6 that I know of right now, hopefully will add more to the list soon) and stuff for donations to the local NICU and Operation Gratitude.

Ok. My 2018 list ( which will be heavily updated as the year progresses)

Sister/BIL  kitchen set (drying mat, scrubbies, clean/dirty hanger for dishwasher, bag holder) (DONE)

Brother/SIL   kitchen set (DONE)

Nieces/"daughter" embroidered make up bags (DONE)

Friend  embroidered refrigerator  magnets (DONE)

Me   shawl (as soon as the yarn i want is back in stock)

Church angel tree  Teddy Bears 

Lapghans for veterans home

WOW!

Ladies, we are on a roll - and it isn't even 2018!!!:cheer

I loved reading about all your projects and am looking forward to seeing the pics of the finishes!

Anna, that's a gorgeous nativity set - and I laughed at the thought of Joseph being dwarfed by a critter!

Cindy, that IS an old WIP!!! Looking forward to seeing the ghan.

Jessie, I make a lot of graph ghans and I know what you mean about both stitch count and needing to concentrate! In my case it's two German shepherds who like attention.:lol

Happy Hooking!

1. Finish mermaid tail throw for dil

2. Moorland afghan

3. Woodland afghan

4. Train baby blanket for Reggie and Ebony

5. Baby  blanket for Renee's daughter 

6. Forest critters c2c or road/car blanket for gs

7. Temperature blanket for Madeline

8. Scarf and hat for friend's January birthday

9. Princess dress blanket for each of the GDs for Christmas

10. Yule tree afghan for DIL for Christmas

11. Shawl for best friend

Guess I can throw in what my list looks like now.

Dolls for Children's Cancer Hospital.

Boy baby afghan & toy, Girl baby afghan & doll, kitchen stuff all for American Legion

Outfits for a Baby Doll for a Charity in Mass.

3 scarfs and hats maybe gloves also.

Graph ghan for neighbor.

Jessie is that group called Two Hearts Crochet?  They have both a FB and regular blog.  They have a very cool Harry Potter afghan.  Can be done regular or c2c.

Here is my graph ghan so far.  It is the Logo of the Tampa Bay Rays Baseball team.

Progress Afghan (1).JPG

Mary Jo - that's beautiful! Love the colors. And the way you're using the graph is perfect. My graphs have pencil marks all over them! I can't tell exactly what the graph pattern is resting on.

Tampa Doll...yes! It is the Two Hearts group that I was referring to. I'll be working on my own HP blanket once I get the baby crest blanket for my newest niece done! Very excited about both projects. I'v already made two Firefly themed blankets from the patterns available on the group this year...

I am working on the Princess afghan from that group.  I am doing each graph as a c2c.  I love that place for graphs, also Free Graphs group on FB.

You can't see it, but I mark each row as I finish it.  That is the only way I can keep tract.  If you could see the graph from the pocket of the tote.:rofl

I'm going to try to do more gifting this year, too. Actually, most of what I make is for my daughters. First up is finishing their birth year temperature blankets. The goal had been their summer birthdays last year, then Christmas. At this point, I just want to be done with them. I'm hoping by mid-February realistically.

I'm also going to be doing the Woodland CAL. I finished up Moorland a couple of weeks ago.

I want to make something small for my side of the family at Christmas. Hubby's side wouldn't appreciate it, so I'm not even going there.

I love Two Hearts, too. I have the Star Wars and the Princess afghans on my "to do" list. Although, if I don't get it done soon, my youngest may decide she's outgrown princesses! I want to make the Peanuts one for me someday.

I'm really wanting to make a temp blanket for each of my four girls, but for some reason they still don't have the information available for one of their birth years. Until I can do them all, I don't feel right starting any of them.

BUT...I'm nearly finished with my counts for this baby Hogwarts blanket!! I have 40 more rows to count, but the vast majority of the detail work is already done, so it should go quickly tomorrow to finish it up. I even sat and set up most of my bobbins while watching Grey's Anatomy tonight lol. I was a little stressed out, thinking I wouldn't get the counts done in time to start working on it Monday, but my littles have been very nice the past couple days for some reason and haven't immediately needed me every time I sat down to count lol. 

I also have a possible opportunity I'm discussing with my cousin. She's got a little children's boutique business that she's been running the past 3 years. I made a pair of mermaids for her daughters this year for Christmas and she's approached me about possibly selling them, as well as a "more boy friendly" stuffy. Still early in talking things over, but if this does go anywhere, I've already told her we can only use patterns that the designers have given permission to sell from and the appropriate recognition for the design needs to be given. It's just kind of interesting to think about...new year, new possibilities?

I hope everyone here has a wonderful New Year's and a very, very blessed 2018!!

Ok can I ask a question?  What is a temp blanket?  Is it known by another name?

Jessie, do you write down the count for each row?  I tried to do that once and it got messed up.

Another site you all might like is One Dog Woof.  She has some very nice free patterns.  She also has graphs for the Chinese Zodiac.  This new year will be the year of the dog.

It is cold, time to get dressed and get my first cup of coffee.

In case I do not get back again.

:yayHAPPPY NEW YEAR:yay

Did you ever run across the knitted temperature scarf, Mary Jo? Seven or so colors assigned to temperature levels and you knit one row for each day of the year. Cute colorful scarf. The problem was the length if you crochet it instead of knitting. So it evolved into a blanket, still can be too long unless you choose a really short stitch-- I did sc, ch, sc, ch. For the GDs I have done one with one to go of the temperatures during their first  year of life.

Cold here, too. Last night was the beginning of our below freezing period that will last until Wednesday. It's supposed to be low teens for 3 nights and teens for 3 more.

The Crochet Crowd had a link to a site that will give you a list of the temperature of each day based on the year and zip code you enter, along with a suggested color for the temp range, so you can make a blanket with a color for each day. I'm planning on making mine look like a calendar, with a small granny square  (like 2 rounds then a sc rd) for each day and a special sc round on the square for that kid's actual birthday!

Yes, I count every stitch in every line. Right to left on odd number rows and left to right on the evens. I find I mess up much less if I take the time to do the full project count before I start instead of counting as I go. 

Well I guess I will join in the fun. For those of you that don't know me I have 4 older kids from 14 to 22, then we had a long hiatus and now we have three littles from 5 to 1, a 1 year old granddaughter and grandson on the way.  So you can imagine how many opportunities there are are for making gifts for people in my immediate family alone! In 2018 I plan on making hats for people, a bulky carseat cover, storybook style dollhouses, pirate bunnies, baby afghans, and more.

Archived