Boxing Day 2018 (any charity projects)

babypoohsmom

22 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Very pretty Brenda. What kind of join did you use? I blew up the picture as big as I could and can't figure it out. The colors are cheerful.  Is it a scrap project or do you just enjoy making the small pieces? 

Darski, I once kept track of "yarn in and yarn out" but didn't actually joining the group. Truth is, I just can't crochet as fast as I buy. The numbers were just too shocking after only a few months. I buy craft supplies instead of liquor, purses or shoes. It's apparently my coping mechanism. 

You sound like me on spending money on craft stuff and not shoes, purses, liquor, etc.  Crocheting usually helps calm my nerves.  The afghan is a join as you do the last round similiar to this

https://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2015/11/17/crochet-tipstuesday-how-to-connect-granny-squares-with-join-as-you-go/

but I find it lays better if I drop the loop off the hook and pull the loop up thru the spaces then slip stitch instead of single crochet.  I have lots of yarn and lots of colors that I need to use and dont want to start something and not have enough to finish.  I go for spells and try really hard not to buy yarn but then I see a new color out.  My sister is spoiled and has towel holders in almost every solid color of RHSS.  This winter after we had bad weather for several weekends in a row and couldnt get to the good sale at JoAnns when I finally got to stop I filled my cart up with yarn.  I didnt need it.  Just wanted it and told dh as much.  Instead of encouraging me to put it back he said its something you use and enjoy so get it.  It was on sale (but not as good as the sale I missed) and with dh with me they gave me a military discount on top of the sale.  I felt so guilty by the time I got to the register but resistance was futile.  To make matters worse they were low on big bags and it took the clerk forever to force my yarn into these very long skinny bags.20180212_090306.thumb.jpg.faae7d545115d29a2b905e230a7f4547.jpg You couldnt put them in the cart and had to raise your arm to hold and carry them to not drag the ground. Now I easily resist and do not order online but put me in a store where I can see and touch the stuff coupled with the word sale is really hard.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2018 at 5:46 PM, darski said:

I need to be held to account - and I really need to stop - I am at the age where health is precarious what with diabetes and such...  I cannot just leave that mess to others to clean up after me and I don't like the mess of it all, which is odd for such an untidy person.

Darski I keep saying I have more craft stuff than I am going to be able to use in my lifetime.  I already had too much yarn of my own when I inherited many totes of my aunts yarn along with many ufos and squares----lots and lots of squares.  My other aunt told me there were boxes for me and my three sisters with squares our mom made along with ones my aunt made. I could tell them apart because mom was right handed and my aunt was left handed.  Mom had been gone 20 years.  Well I asked my sisters if they wanted their squares or did they want me to put them together knowing what their answers would be.  One sister wanted a larger one than there were squares already made so I found yarn in my aunts totes to make more squares and used squares from my box in order to get three done by Christmas.  What really slowed me down was ends were knotted and clipped short so some squares were coming apart.  I found all the ends and tacked them down with sewing thread.  That took a really long time---4 boxes with 42 squares each with 4 color changes per square.  Now this is all very ironic because I belonged to the granny square group here and mailed out lots of squares but always told them I didnt want to collect squares because I knew I would never ever get around to putting them together.  It was also hard because the squares were colors that we were not fond of--- yellow, drab greens, and orange but luckily the beige made them look good.  I got those three done for that Christmas and next Christmas between squares I had already made and my aunts squares I put together 8 more afghans for nieces and nephews.  I did flat braid join on my sisters.  I even had one almost finished and noticed I had one square in the middle wrong side out so I had to pull it apart and make it right even though I knew they would never notice.  After those three I started doing join as you go.  After that it has taken a couple more years to get my aunts yarn worked up into several lapghans that went to W4W, lots of nicu blankets to badrhinogillett, baby blankets to a local charity and several blankets to Project Linus.  I also made 3 large mats for a niece that wanted them to cover the back seat of her car.

Wow Brenda. You have been really busy.  I can identify with you though. My mom passed in 2012 and of course I am the only girl, so I ended up with miles and miles of fabric to add to my bottomless stash. She crocheted too but luckily, she only had 2 or 3 totes of yarn. My Dad is still alive and doing well...he only lives three houses away so all of my Mom's stuff is still at the house. If I never bought yarn or fabric again, I would probably not run out in my lifetime. But sometimes something new just cheers you up more than "shopping" in your stash. People joke about it, but it sure does seem therapeutic. I go back and forth between feeling guilty about buying more stuff and just deciding that it doesn't hurt anyone. It's not like we can't eat or pay the mortgage because of my craft purchases, so I have decided to just roll with it for now.  

I sit in my craft room sometimes and just daydream about retiring and having more time to use the fun stuff I have. I am so grateful that I have friends here in the 'Ville and IRL who can understand the yarn "thing". 

10 hours ago, darski said:

I'm thinking this eyeglass holder would be welcome for charitable giving. can see it in a senior's facility. 

I want to try the poodle version just to see how it works out  :think

Is the poodle version available?

Thanks Brenda!!!

10 hours ago, darski said:

I'm thinking this eyeglass holder would be welcome for charitable giving. can see it in a senior's facility. 

I want to try the poodle version just to see how it works out  :think

Is the poodle version available?

I am trying the poodle but I would never do another one w/ 4.mm hook and WW yarn.  my hands are tired after 5 rows. 

I'll finish this one but the next one will be w/ 4.5 mm hook.

Katy, those look bright and cheerful. I didn't know that there was a granny thread. I will look for it. The sneak peek isn't enough! I want to see them! 

I made two banners to hang at the Petsmart adoption centers that house our rescue's cats this weekend for their special adoption weekend promo. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fd250658cd080f460e1103d2daf5bf07.jpeg

I finally finished this baby set and the Mandala yarn as well.  it is pretty but as I said not tempting to me.  I do have more of this type that I got a while back.  must use it up too.

5b004b5a3a478_amatch2.jpg.077813b4b2861ce034edbb717a24fd72.jpg5b004b5bca669_amatch3.jpg.584bee018f294ccce309c765a64dbee2.jpg

Oh, I also frogged the eyeglass holder as it does not have to be sc with a tiny hook so I am working hdc w/ a 5.mm hook should go m ore quickly now.

Another beautiful set Darski. I like the colors in the blanket. Who would have thought that greys could be just fine for a girly blanket? 

This is hockey hat #3. Capitals looked sloppy and slow tonight.  I will miss game 6 because it's Monday and I never get off work on Mondays at a reasonable hour. The grey and variegated yarn are both Goodwill skeins. That blue/grey will just not disappear. I thought for sure this hat would finish it! I don't think the grey had a label when I got it, but it washed up really soft. Seems like I could get several more hats before I can run it out.  And....of course I bought a few more skeins at Micheals yesterday. Oops.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c1cb32dabd6d1300036e54c8b05bfba.jpeg

not for charity necessarily but this "Water's Edge" Kimono is very pretty. She has an excellent tutorial for the stitch pattern.

I'm tempted but it needs 36 oz. at my size and I ain't gonna buy me any more yarn... no sirree! :devil  I could do it in my 4 shades of rose.  :think

hope y'all don't mind that I just have to share what I find out there. :ghug

Well, I for one love that you share what you find out there Darski. I never have time to fall down any pattern rabbit-holes, so I pretty much count on what other people find, or get in their email, or whatever! In fact you had an unusual granny's square blanket I was doing to ask about. I'll have to flip back through the posts, but I believe it had a chain row or something that added a color accent. I'd like to try that. 

I'm still on the hunt for easy baby booties. I tried a few last year that didn't work for me because I crochet rather tightly. I still have a mini stocking pattern tucked away that needs to be tried. 

Me too.  I appreciate that you share patterns you find.

I think the freeze pop covers are cute but wonder about the wisdom of gluing on accents because realistically I think they need to be washable.  

The new pink outfit is adorable.  

2 hours ago, bgs said:

I think the freeze pop covers are cute but wonder about the wisdom of gluing on accents because realistically I think they need to be washable.  

I agree.  I had already decided that I would not glue stuff in place.  I think you can do all you want with colour choices if your intent is to keep little hands warm.

it is convenient when you can reach 2 crochet goals at the same time.  I am making hats for our "Redeemed Goods" store and using up yarn. :rofl

hat02.jpg.b90854d3809ae639c1f2867f5f76d3d6.jpg

I plan to get more blankies done with these smaller skeins so I can feel that I am making progress.

Archived