Boxing Day 2018 (any charity projects)

babypoohsmom

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to show you what I got at my LYS with the coupon. I got 6 skeins of the baby yarn to make the afghan for the pregnant coworker. The red and green have sparkles and were on clearance for $3. I got two of each color. I want to try to make stockings for the troops. Mine always have heels that are too sharp. I found a new pattern last year that is a bit complicated but the heel shape looks like it's worth the effort. image.thumb.jpeg.25ed63a1db7943070169919b03245651.jpegThen I got the blue sparkly James Brett chunky marble becasuse...why not? 

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

Darski, with 40+ patterns, it will be interesting to see what you pick first! 

I must confess, I have never seen The Princess Bride. Everyone at work loves it. 

I plan to make tons of cookies.  Love those patterns and I can make one complete in a sitting.

TPB is now a Classic.  memes show up everywhere.  If you get a chance - do watch it.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

I wanted to show you what I got at my LYS with the coupon. I got 6 skeins of the baby yarn to make the afghan for the pregnant coworker. The red and green have sparkles and were on clearance for $3. I got two of each color. I want to try to make stockings for the troops. Mine always have heels that are too sharp. I found a new pattern last year that is a bit complicated but the heel shape looks like it's worth the effort. Then I got the blue sparkly James Brett chunky marble becasuse...why not? 

Ok, I am completely guilty of yarn envy.  Sparkles just do it :loco

I finished the charity ghan. It measure about 50 by 67 inches. The lady I gave it to said it will likely be paired with a gift card from our local yarn store!

The pattern I used is from Attic24, and is called the Cosy blanket 

IMG_20180212_091204458.jpg

48 minutes ago, judianne said:

I finished the charity ghan. It measure about 50 by 67 inches. The lady I gave it to said it will likely be paired with a gift card from our local yarn store!

The pattern I used is from Attic24, and is called the Cosy blanket 

IMG_20180212_091204458.jpg

This is gorgeous.  never met a blue I didn't love. :heart

Denise love your yarn.   Dont know if you are looking for patterns but this is my favorite mini stocking pattern.  I use a g hook and it makes a 5 inch stocking from tip of toe to top which is perfect for Warmth for Warriors.  They want them anywhere between 4 and 6 inches.

http://www.amyscrochetpatterns.com/2014/11/crochet-mini-christmas-stocking.html?m=1

This one is similiar.  

http://lemondedesucrette.com/little-christmas-socks-the-pattern/

I have made some using this pattern.

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2016/10/01/mini-cuffed-christmas-stocking-pattern/

Havent tried these yet.

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2017/05/27/top-down-christmas-stocking/

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2017/03/17/waistcoat-crochet-mini-christmas-stocking/

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mini-christmas-stocking-21

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/flyingdoxie/christmas-stocking

I make a lot of this one but looks like the pattern is no longer available.   Its basically a 4 round granny square folded in half.    Add stitches to folded edge for toe so it looks like a stocking (but stocking does not open up into toe area)  Rows can be added for fold down cuff.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-square-christmas-stocking-ornament

This pattern is similiar.

http://www.webchiem.com/2011/11/crochet-christmas-stocking-free-crochet.html?m=1#more

Here are my first mini stockings for the year for Warmth for Warriors.  I used my scrap balls of yarn.

20180214_161852.thumb.jpg.bca7032777d20e13b720ec9d8da28699.jpg

Ooh Judy, that afghan is beautiful. The pattern, the colors, I like everything about it. I'm confused though, why would a charity recipient get a gift card to a yarn shop along with the blanket? 

Brenda, Thanks for all of the links! The third one down is the pattern I have and want to try. Yours are really fun with all of the different colors. It's great that you already have 10 done. 

I have not done much lately because A. I am working on a afghan for the girl at work, and B. I have not been home from work before 7:30 this week. By the time I take a shower and pack my lunch for the next day, it's about bed time! I took a vacation day Monday and asked my co-worker to please not call or text me about work and he didn't. He's off tomorrow and I have made him the same promise. We are both trying to not get burned out.  But I'm glad to see you guys getting stuff done. 

11 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Ooh Judy, that afghan is beautiful. The pattern, the colors, I like everything about it. I'm confused though, why would a charity recipient get a gift card to a yarn shop along with the blanket? 

Brenda, Thanks for all of the links! The third one down is the pattern I have and want to try. Yours are really fun with all of the different colors. It's great that you already have 10 done. 

I have not done much lately because A. I am working on a afghan for the girl at work, and B. I have not been home from work before 7:30 this week. By the time I take a shower and pack my lunch for the next day, it's about bed time! I took a vacation day Monday and asked my co-worker to please not call or text me about work and he didn't. He's off tomorrow and I have made him the same promise. We are both trying to not get burned out.  But I'm glad to see you guys getting stuff done. 

I should have included the important fact that this blanket with the GC will be an auction item! I tend to leave out important information when I write...lol!

I need some opinions.  I found this square on Pinterest.  the photo was easy to follow and I love the square but... given the scale of the Hearts patterns does this work as a doll blankie? 

hearty1.jpg.a6d84abf609d7b8334d8804b442bcf3a.jpg

hearty2.jpg.30a7c84de7d528ff7dacbed6c849673f.jpg

I was discussing little girls and doll thingies and it was agreed that little girls will gladly take any rag to hand and call it a blankie so I am not concerned about little ones liking this.  In my work in doll clothes I have always tried to keep scale in my stuff.  would this (with the border I have yet to add) be suitable for baby dolls or should I call it an afghan for our 18" girls; or keep it and make more to do a lapghan  :rofl .  I can make a nighty suitable to either size... any opinions  --with a border this should be about 20" square.

good morning

have been working on the nests for the Va. Beach wildlife team,I'm on # 22 of 50,may have my goal by Spring

doing red,white and blue ones during the Olympics,when we get a gold medal,putting some gold at the top

Hi all, thanks for the clarification Judy. Our animal rescue is having a fundraiser in April and I hope to get a quilt made for the raffle or silent auction.  I need to figure out how to go without sleep, anyone figured that out? 

Darski, I think the heart motif isn't too big. I don't think children wouldn't even think of that. I think they would see the hearts and like it without hesitation. I did a block similar to that once. I forgot who I gave it to. 

Pineknott (did you change your signature?) I was sure that your name was in it...Linda? I, glad you're doing well and I love the idea of the red, white and blue nests. 

I've been dvr-ing the Olympics because I can't seem to get home from work before 7:30. But I can zip through the commercials so that is good. I have of course been enjoying the figure skating and was hoping the ladies programs would be over the weekend when I have more time, but nope, next up is ice dancing so I will have to rely on the DVR again. I enjoyed the snowboarding and hope to get to see some of the ski jumping. That looks fun and dangerous at the same time. 

Meanswhile I have been working on beds and toys for the rescue. Not sure if I posted these pictures of Panda and Sunshine doing final inspections....image.jpeg.a5a6a76b32e6d7e1f2b16374133b7692.jpegimage.jpeg.cb8c4cf2165869f34450f8bc7c930a72.jpeg

Denise I love your quality control crew.

Darski I love that heart square.  Its going to make a beatiful doll blankie.

Up to 40 on the ministockings.  I made a few other things which got mailed off last week.

On 2/18/2018 at 3:39 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Hi all, thanks for the clarification Judy. Our animal rescue is having a fundraiser in April and I hope to get a quilt made for the raffle or silent auction.  I need to figure out how to go without sleep, anyone figured that out? 

Darski, I think the heart motif isn't too big. I don't think children wouldn't even think of that. I think they would see the hearts and like it without hesitation. I did a block similar to that once. I forgot who I gave it to. 

Pineknott (did you change your signature?) I was sure that your name was in it...Linda? I, glad you're doing well and I love the idea of the red, white and blue nests. 

I've been dvr-ing the Olympics because I can't seem to get home from work before 7:30. But I can zip through the commercials so that is good. I have of course been enjoying the figure skating and was hoping the ladies programs would be over the weekend when I have more time, but nope, next up is ice dancing so I will have to rely on the DVR again. I enjoyed the snowboarding and hope to get to see some of the ski jumping. That looks fun and dangerous at the same time. 

Meanswhile I have been working on beds and toys for the rescue. Not sure if I posted these pictures of Panda and Sunshine doing final inspections....image.jpeg.a5a6a76b32e6d7e1f2b16374133b7692.jpegimage.jpeg.cb8c4cf2165869f34450f8bc7c930a72.jpeg

I still answer to Linda,I just wanted to change it up,I use Lyn the last three letter of Brooklyn NY where I  grew up,I have always signed my cards to my hubby that way for almost 48 yrs now

15 hours ago, pineknott said:

I still answer to Linda,I just wanted to change it up,I use Lyn the last three letter of Brooklyn NY where I  grew up,I have always signed my cards to my hubby that way for almost 48 yrs now

Whereabouts in Brooklyn? I was raised in Bensonhurst, then Ridgewood, then we went high end: Maspeth Queens

5 hours ago, judianne said:

Whereabouts in Brooklyn? I was raised in Bensonhurst, then Ridgewood, then we went high end: Maspeth Queens

park slope,Lincoln Pl btween 6th and 7th ave,2 blocks from the plane crash in 1960,missed our school by a block

On 2/20/2018 at 7:53 PM, pineknott said:

park slope,Lincoln Pl btween 6th and 7th ave,2 blocks from the plane crash in 1960,missed our school by a block

Yikes! I remember the newspaper coverage of that...

Here's a baby RR that was set aside, unfinished, for a while. Finally done! And the first baby hat I've made for a long time. Going to a big NICU in NYC.

IMG_20180221_153701078.jpg

IMG_20180221_153908016_HDR.jpg

28 minutes ago, judianne said:

Here's a baby RR that was set aside, unfinished, for a while. Finally done! And the first baby hat I've made for a long time. Going to a big NICU in NYC.

IMG_20180221_153701078.jpg

I love this one.  always love hats but RR's are a new fave for me

Archived