Boxing Day 2018 (any charity projects)

babypoohsmom

On 6/3/2018 at 1:18 AM, babypoohsmom said:

I went to Joann's today. They had a lot of new yarns. Most of the new stuff was cakes of some sort or another. I also noticed that there was more mills ends, so I dig through them. I found this yarn for $7.99 and used a 50% off coupon so it ended up being $1 per skein. I started a seed stitch scarf, but didn't like it. I started a hdc hat and didn't like that. So I grabbed that never ending skein of grey yarn and started a chunky hat and I was finally happy. Not done yet though....

image.thumb.jpeg.2ab5696937b1744d817e9b6f228fd92c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.87d61c0237e7fbfa205edd0d3bd02ac5.jpeg

Hey!!!  THAT looks terrific!!!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bgs said:

Darski I just don't know on the hat.  They look nice in the pictures just laying there but I wonder what it looks like on someone's head.  

I tried it and I like this a single design feature.  However... now I remember why I never do hats from the bottom edge.  chains are too tight and I always forget about foundation dc  :sigh

5b15f0b5958c4_braidhat1.jpg.5950ba13690d598d1e907efaaa736186.jpg

tried the other hat I saw on You Tube.  I worked this from the top down - it works that way- - don't think I would do another one.  but... it will keep someone warm next winter and I get two points for finishing a skein.

5b16096cbdfa0_braidhat2.jpg.9949b4980c5000f1300b64f7f46051f0.jpg.

I also want to say that the South American countries are leading the innovation field in crochet.  check out vids on You Tube - they do amazing work :manyheart

I cant remember the last time I made a hat starting at the bottom or if I have other than on my kk loom.  Tight chains would be a problem for me too.  I really need to practice and use fdc so I can remember it is an option.  I do like your single design features on the hats.  

Darski, I like both hats, but the first one looks more interesting to me than the second one. But to your point, someone will be warmer and you are one skein lighter!  Plus, it's fun to try something really different now and then.  I started watching a video for a really cute hat that was in German. I could catch a word or phrase here and there. The video is called Mütze Häkeln and is a variation of a seed stitch. I don't know how to copy the link from you tube to this post on my iPad. She used a lot of colors and the hat looks "happy" to me!

15 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Darski, I like both hats, but the first one looks more interesting to me than the second one. But to your point, someone will be warmer and you are one skein lighter!  Plus, it's fun to try something really different now and then.  I started watching a video for a really cute hat that was in German. I could catch a word or phrase here and there. The video is called Mütze Häkeln and is a variation of a seed stitch. I don't know how to copy the link from you tube to this post on my iPad. She used a lot of colors and the hat looks "happy" to me!

I think I found that vid.  it was a "happy" hat.  If I could do that top down I would like to try it... I rather dislike making sc ribbing---- like the effect just not the doing.

I rather dislike that 2nd hat too.  I will add something to it to try to improve the appearance.

14 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

I made another hat with the bargain yarn. This time I paired it with black yarn. The Capitals won the Stanley Cup, so no more hockey hats!

Love those.  I really like the Bernat Premium but have never seen a variegated version.

Mary Maxim.ca has changed their 18" dolls from the Springfield to some new type.  they are using Springfield's names

https://www.marymaxim.ca/18-soft-bodied-doll-olivia-red-hair.html

it looks like a cross between Our Generation dolls and Maplelea dolls.  She is pretty but I don't need more dolls - even at a cheaper price.

18 Inch Doll Ballet Dancer

Finally got a project finished for the doll donation.  Darski as we discussed I am using one of yours as a model and she is beautiful.  Thank you so much.

As for the Springfield line much to my dismay I discovered last fall they were discontinuing what we'd call the traditional Springfield dolls.  I found out later than I'd liked but I picked up a bunch of dolls on clearance for the donation.  I was very sad about this as they are one of the more reasonably priced 18" dolls.  They were a great first doll for little ones who may or may not become interested in moving on to the more expensive dolls.  I found them great donation doll as I was often able to get them on sale, use my reward certificate or on rare occasions use coupons to bring down the cost.  They were also well sized for fitting the other lines of dolls.  I made clothing for my niece's American Girl and Next Generation dolls over the years and had good luck getting them to fit after sizing them on my Springfield doll..  The dolls are different sizes but close enough that you can make it work.  That made them good for people who didn't want to buy the more expensive dolls to try on the clothes they were making to  gift to a child who did own the more expensive dolls.

I suspect when my Springfield supply is done I will move on to Next Generation as they are local and I don't have to pay shipping. Springfield was supposed to come out with another upgraded more expensive doll line, but from the state of their website that doesn't look like its going to happen.  I suspect some of their vendors thought so too.  I know AC Moore where I've bought my Springfield dolls had replaced the Springfield doll with another line Penelope and Friends that starts at the $30 range.  The reviews on that line are mixed.  The doll doesn't have a cloth body and is thinner.  There have been complaints the limbs break easier, which concerns me as my old Springfield doll has been highly abused over the years as I've dragged clothes that fit and didn't fit on and off it without damage other than to the hair, which was always a draw back to the line.

I went to Mary Maxim US and it does appear they are selling an upgraded version as you said that looks like a cross between Springfield and Next Generation.  It's hard to tell via a picture but the hair certainly looks like an upgrade from the Springfield dolls which was the one thing I didn't like about the dolls.  It sounds like something Mary Maxim would do.  They had a soft bodied baby doll I bought for several years as it was a great doll and one of the few soft bodied baby dolls on the market at that point.  When they discontinued it several years ago, they still have the plastic one, I bought out several years worth of donations which allowed me to find the model I'm using now.

I love (ed) the faces on the Springfield dolls and I preferred the bangs look.  Just didn't really take to the just long hair with no style to it.  The dolls I saw at MM.ca were very bland - no appeal to them..

If I ever need new dolls I will just go to Walmart and get more My Life dolls. 

The hair didn't really cover the skull very well and almost looked bald in places.  I still use mine to try the clothes on works great and as I said it takes the abuse of constantly trying something on finding it doesn't fit taking it off, etc.  I don't even remember how old the poor thing is.  However, the hair was never it's best feature. 

I am going to have to stop by Walmart and comparison shop them to the Target dolls.  I'm not really attached to a brand at this point.

Finally got another lapghan done for Warmth for Warriors.  It is now packaged with the one I made months ago waiting for a trip to the PO.

20180615_165820.thumb.jpg.644b2030ad115fc84c5afdc054b7d198.jpg

And I have the next batch of ministockings (72) ready to go too.

20180615_170601.thumb.jpg.14ac8c9518928a3da14bd4234ac4272f.jpg

3 hours ago, bgs said:

Finally got another lapghan done for Warmth for Warriors.  It is now packaged with the one I made months ago waiting for a trip to the PO.

And I have the next batch of ministockings (72) ready to go too.

20180615_170601.thumb.jpg.14ac8c9518928a3da14bd4234ac4272f.jpg

excellent work.  The socks make me smile :)

20 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

18" Dovetailed

Working on a summer dress but I'm going to have to pull some of it out as I realize the trim is popping to the back and not the front.  One step forward....

thank you for using this pattern.  It is one of my quirky bits but I do love it.  Will see if I can spot it in FOP

Archived