Boxing Day 2018 (any charity projects)

babypoohsmom

this rabbity square was fun to make but fussy.  I have to add a border in white but wanted to get the pic while I can.

rabbit01.thumb.jpg.ee958ae743fa7a198392848cadcbb245.jpgrabbit02.jpg.328a56befa0eceabfec5d255ff6bc548.jpg

just a side note... I had to add the word "While" to the dictionary :eek  :?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super cute bunnies. The fussy paid off!  Your adorable-athon is on a roll. 

Also, I sent a text to my brother a few weeks ago and my phone changed "while" to "whilst" as if I was British. And by the way, I have been trying to give "fortnight" a comeback but it's not catching on. I love British-isms, but I don't think I ever texted the word "whilst" before.  And yup I was sucked into the big royal wedding, but not enough to get up at 1am to watch it. (I taped it). I have always been interested in the royals because it was such an odd thing to me as a kid. In high school I absolutely fell in love with Princess Diana. 

12 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

.  And yup I was sucked into the big royal wedding, but not enough to get up at 1am to watch it. (I taped it). I have always been interested in the royals because it was such an odd thing to me as a kid. In high school I absolutely fell in love with Princess Diana. 

I did get up to watch the wedding - I have a sleep disorder so being awake at odd times is not unusual.  I was disappointed when she showed up in the big virginal white gown.  this is her third wedding (1 annulment, 1 divorce) so simple honesty and shame should have decided the colour.  In addition, I laughed out loud when they did the "forsaking all others; cleave thee only" stuff. and there sat Charles and Camilla in the background.  they should probably skip that part for the royals.  :rofl 

I liked the look of the dress if not the colour.

I'm a royalist at heart - which is convenient since I am Canadian.  Did you notice that they did not bow/curtsy to the Queen?... and the queen was second tier :?

And I love fortnights and sennights.  most of my reading is from British authors.

2 hours ago, darski said:

I did get up to watch the wedding - I have a sleep disorder so being awake at odd times is not unusual.  I was disappointed when she showed up in the big virginal white gown.  this is her third wedding (1 annulment, 1 divorce) so simple honesty and shame should have decided the colour.  In addition, I laughed out loud when they did the "forsaking all others; cleave thee only" stuff. and there sat Charles and Camilla in the background.  they should probably skip that part for the royals.  :rofl 

I liked the look of the dress if not the colour.

I'm a royalist at heart - which is convenient since I am Canadian.  Did you notice that they did not bow/curtsy to the Queen?... and the queen was second tier :?

And I love fortnights and sennights.  most of my reading is from British authors.

I didnt watch but have seen bits and pieces here and there.  One of the bits was about how people were puzzled that there was no curtsy to the queen.  What happened was they cut away and the curtsy was not broadcasted.  It is on film and they showed it on the bit I saw.  

the joys of filet crochet...

I thought this buggy pattern would be a cute blankie centre.  I did the pattern as presented but it did not look like a buggy to me.

buggy01.jpg.bcba4daad02cba61e55726d2e81f032e.jpg

I ripped it out and redid it with 2 more solid rows in the buggy bed... I'm not convinced it looks right yet. I'm thinking it would work as the start of a stroller set for a real baby as opposed to our dolly sets.  any impressions :?

buggy02.jpg.b63c6161b31096d0ad328aa38820f0e7.jpg

Filet always looks so good in the charts but they don't work out in the making :sigh

4 hours ago, darski said:

I watched the live stream - and it did not happen when they were presented as Mr. and Mrs.

Should she have curtsied then also?  My knowledge of etquette and protocol in things like this are severely lacking but I find it interesting.  Gosh its just  hard to believe that proper protocol and etiquette would not be followed in an event like this.   What I heard was the bow and curtsy were slated to take place after the anthem and it did happen but at that point the camera panned out to a birdseye view making it difficult to see and many watching missed it.  

I guessed I missed the courtesy (or lack thereof). I read today that she has to curtesy to Kate, and then a giant list of does and donts depending on if she is with Prince Harry or not. Good grief. These families may seem to have it all, but what they trade!! I might like to try it for a week, but I know I could not be gracious and lovely all of the time.  

I was married in off-white despite my Catholic parents' desires. I got married at 32 and I don't think anyone thought that my absolute purity was in tact, but neither of us had been married before, so I thought it was ok. But several million people did not watch my wedding and we had an open bar, so probably nobody remembers my dress!! 

And Darski, although I love everything you make, I don't see a buggy. I kind of see a pick up truck! Funny what our eyes do to us.

9 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

And Darski, although I love everything you make, I don't see a buggy. I kind of see a pick up truck! Funny what our eyes do to us.

I am thinking the same thing.  I think I will finish it then add trim to the hood area and maybe add some white wheels to cover the wheels that don't show up..  :sigh

Clever idea Darski. That's the way to make lemonade from lemons...or a pickup truck from a buggy!  I see the handle to push the buggy now, but since I have already convinced my brain that it is a pickup, that is what I see! 

I think it is better but would never try another filet pattern.  You have to remember on row one to do extended dc and my brain just doesn't engage.  :sigh

Made the sweater but will make a hat too.

buggy03.jpg.6698f1c3e611b8149f8af639526717e0.jpg

buggy04.jpg.d6f2d900da0d8d89a9f89113a7f6d1df.jpg

buggy05.jpg.1a93c9b0763caa4bc8ef193489c72267.jpg

I could see the buggy in your original work but the white wheels and trim really make it pop out and looks really nice.  I really like what you did with it.  Love your little sweater too.

finally finished my spectacles holder... He's kind of cute. I glued him to an old CD as he wanted to fall over with the weight of the specs.

it is much easier on the hands to do hdc and a larger hook.  I also liked the button nose instead of a tiny pompom.

poodle01.jpg.8502afdb381e36d30154144bb48a2385.jpg

I kept telling myself that I needed a sweater to finish that stacked hearts blankie and hat so I finally did it.  the sweater just seemed to call for a dress as well

st04.jpg.f4fbf3a8c23a53420267c61f77310090.jpg

st05.jpg.90e10222bd085947d5329a761546113c.jpg

it's nice to tidy up some todo list items

Hey Darski. This is way off topic, but last week I was watching the Jets/Golden Knights hockey game and loved that the people really sang along to the Canadian National Anthem. There was even a point when the person singing the anthem stopped and all the people in the arena sang. It was really impressive.  They even gave a hearty applause when the US anthem was done.

I learned the US anthem in 3rd grade and our teacher went line by line and taught us the meaning of the words (it's a good thing I didn't know about the other verses as a child, they get dicey). Anyway, I hate when people mess it up. 

But the Canadian pride reminded me of the red and white afghan you were making for the sesquicentennial. I don't recall seeing it finished. Did I miss it, or is it "resting". 

the govt. passed a couple of laws that make me a thought criminal so I didn't see any reason to celebrate a country with no freedom.  Truly, guard your freedom of speech to the death.  You have no idea what a precious gift with which you have been endowed by your Creator.

21 hours ago, darski said:

this orange shrug is gorgeous.  The colour is its major selling point for me. I think it would be more useful for seniors as it is less likely to fall down.

Alas, it is baby weight.

I think you could use regular knitting worsted yarn, don't you?

2 hours ago, Avon Lady said:

I think you could use regular knitting worsted yarn, don't you?

yes, I was planning to find some of my lighter Worsted for this.

I went to Joann's today. They had a lot of new yarns. Most of the new stuff was cakes of some sort or another. I also noticed that there was more mills ends, so I dig through them. I found this yarn for $7.99 and used a 50% off coupon so it ended up being $1 per skein. I started a seed stitch scarf, but didn't like it. I started a hdc hat and didn't like that. So I grabbed that never ending skein of grey yarn and started a chunky hat and I was finally happy. Not done yet though....

image.thumb.jpeg.2ab5696937b1744d817e9b6f228fd92c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.87d61c0237e7fbfa205edd0d3bd02ac5.jpeg

Some opinions please...

I saw this hat on Pinterest and was interested..

I watched the vid on You Tube and it is not that hard to do.

my problem is that I don't believe people would want a hat with flying buttresses all over it.  I did think that a single row of these "braids" might look interesting without being campy.

any thoughts on the full hat effect or even my idea of one row?  I think I will try this hat using my version of "crochet ribbing" and that one row. :crocheting

Archived