MiMi2015

Help creating an appealing border

Question

Hi all!  I’m making good progress in this blanket but the pattern and videos I am following don’t say how to finish it.  Top snd bottom, I suppose, are “ok” as us, but the sides definitely need some type of border.  Any suggestions?

73EDB7C0-4635-4188-A0DA-8C627510EEF0.jpeg

4 answers to this question

My suggestion is: don't make a border, but that's my personal sense of aesthetics--sometimes less is more.  Borders on ripples or striped sided things aren't as nice looking as working in the tops of stitches all around (like a blanket in the round) or making same color borders as the blanket; making stitches of color A to the sides of stitches of color B is difficult to keep from looking ragged).

If you must add a border, I'd suggest no more than 1 SC round of one of the colors.  It's such a bold, geometric design you don't want to detract from it.

Edited by Granny Square

I vote for no border, too. And I agree that at most it can be an edging of one sc in one color. Personally, I think the natural ends and sides on a ripple are perfect as is.

I like borders on all my afghans, I think of it as framing a picture.

Make the last ripple row the same color as the first ripple row, it looks like dark blue in the picture.  Then use that same color to make a simple border along the sides only.  It will look great if the number of rows in the border is the same as the number of rows in a color stripe.  I guess I'm trying to recommend that the width of the border at the sides should be the same as the width of a stripe.

Great job, I love the colors!

Thank you all.  I like the idea of ending in a white stripe, and I can always add a white stipe to the bottom.  I’ll start with a sc along the side to see how it looks but fear I need to do just what was suggested and make it the same width as the chevron.  I frequently find I’m not ending the row on the right count of stitches and I sort of wing it to get it to count (giving me a less than perfectly straight side).  I’m self taught and learning.

Thank you all!  I can’t tell you how nice it is to have so many experts to go to.  I hope one day I can help someone.