Stitch choice for Arctic circlr

EnSlavingBlair

Question

Hi,

My partner and I are going to the Arctic circle in a few weeks and have basically no experience with cold weather - we live in Australia. I was thinking of crocheting some warm accessories using mostly a half double crochet stitch and wool, but I really have no idea if that's my best option. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Cheers, Teresa

3 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

I live in Missouri, a long way from the arctic circle, and it was below freezing here today.  I was wearing wool socks, insulated gloves, a wool and silk scarf and hat, a wool blend coat---an this was just for walking from my car to a store or two.  Wool is a very warm fabric and breathes and helps manage moisture well, and hdc is a fairly dense stitch so your idea for accessories is good, i think.  But also I assume you have warm coats and general clothing (like insulated underwear) that is appropriate for very cold temps, because you will need that.  And you may not have time to crochet the hats, scarves, mittens, socks etc that 2 people will need....so you may need to go shopping!  

Angora is as warm as you can get from what I understand. So warm you will actually be too warm in sub zero conditions. So an angora blend? And I don't think the stitch matters at all as long as you do'nt have chain spaces between stitches for it to be 'holey'. 

Show us pics of what you end up making!

Archived