Lady Godiva

New member from Ontario Canada

Hello everyone,

I've starting crocheting in mid July of this year thanks to a great instructional video that I was able to follow. I learned to make 16 x 16 squares for practice and ended up making my first blanket with them. Since then I have made a second blanket and a bunch of scarves in the last 4 months.

Over the last 2 days, I have noticed something concerning and was wondering in anyone else has experienced this. The tip of my index finger (left) started to bruise/swell with slight tenderness but still bends. The bruising has progressed to the knuckle and the swelling comes/goes. I realized that the area affected is the same area that the hook repeatedly makes contact with the inner left index finger, which would explain the bruise there.

Are there any tips or accessories that might help to keep me from having a constant bruises/swollen finger tip. Yes, I have been applying an ice pack and have put my latest project on hold.

Meanwhile, here are some of my finished projects. :)

hobo blanket.jpg

orange blanket.jpg

scarf1.jpg

scarf2.jpg

scarf3.jpg

scarf4.jpg

scarf5.jpg

Hi, Lady Godiva!

It probably is just from crocheting so much, and for so long.  Rest your fingers every now and then while you're working, and use a muscle cream for tendinitis and muscular strains.  We crocheters all have this same complaint, and there are many out there with other solutions.  Hopefully they'll see your post and come up with other "fixes"

• Like 1

Hi and welcome from me too!

I agree with Mona and Collette that it's important to rest/take breaks, and to not hold the hook or the yarn too tightly.  as you take a break, stretch your fingers---you can google for hand exercises for crocheters and knitters.  getting up and walking around to get your circulation going is good too.  

Is your left hand your yarn-tensioning hand or your hook-holding hand?  

How do you hold your hook?  there are infinite possible holds i guess, but here is an article describing 6 popular ones---do any look like the way you hold it?  https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/crochet-holds-variation/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

I agree with Mona and Collette that it's important to rest/take breaks, and to not hold the hook or the yarn too tightly.  as you take a break, stretch your fingers---you can google for hand exercises for crocheters and knitters.  getting up and walking around to get your circulation going is good too.  

How do you hold your hook?  there are infinite possible holds i guess, but here is an article describing 6 popular ones---do any look like the way you hold it?  https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/crochet-holds-variation/

My left hand is my yarn-tensioning hand. I'm taking the advice and giving my fingers a break. More breaks are needed for sure :)  It was made obvious when I continued my project and realized the hook was making contact in the same spot when I'm working the yarn through. It's a light touch from the hook, but 1000's of light pokes in the same spot will result in a bruised finger tip.

16 hours ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Hi there,

My grip is more like the overhand saber, my hooks have the indent/thumb rest and my thumb is on ones side with my index (right hand) on the other. I haven't played around with other variations of holding the hook. It's just what felt natural to me.

21 hours ago, Avon Lady said:

Hi, Lady Godiva!

It probably is just from crocheting so much, and for so long.  Rest your fingers every now and then while you're working, and use a muscle cream for tendinitis and muscular strains.  We crocheters all have this same complaint, and there are many out there with other solutions.  Hopefully they'll see your post and come up with other "fixes"

I bet you're right about crocheting so much for so long ;)   The scarves I tend to do over 2 sittings in the evening. There really isn't a rush to getting them done as the ones I am making now are going to kids/families in the community that need them. It may just be a little OCD and the feeling that I know if I just put in the extra hour (or 2) that I can finish this and I'm on to the next one.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:04 AM, Lady Godiva said:

My left hand is my yarn-tensioning hand. I'm taking the advice and giving my fingers a break. More breaks are needed for sure :)  It was made obvious when I continued my project and realized the hook was making contact in the same spot when I'm working the yarn through. It's a light touch from the hook, but 1000's of light pokes in the same spot will result in a bruised finger tip.

Do you have to push the hook with your index finger to complete the stitch?  

Do you wrap the yarn around your index finger?  If so be sure that is not too tight.  I recently noticed a friend had her yarn wrapped so tightly on her finger that her fingertip was turning purple.  I was like, um, did you realize you are cutting off your circulation?  :blink

Overall, it isn't necessary to hold anything tightly---the working yarn or the hook.  If you are gripping tightly it can make everything harder to do, and put more strain on your hands, wrists, arms.  I don't know if you are working tightly but if you are, try to loosen up as much as you can.  

Welcome to Crochetville! 

I agree with everything that's been said. I'm going to throw one more thing out there, although it may not be related. 

I use my left index finger as a yarn guide...no wrapping, the yarn just lays over the top. My finger skin is thin. The yarn rubbing causes an indent, red swelling and pain. I use a finger guard and solved the problem. There are a few kinds. Here's the one I use....

http://www.knitpicks.com/cfAccessories/Accessory_Display.cfm?ID=80621&media=PPCgpGen&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr47C9pcVwFS_Ist18NL1LhUdXlDvSjfGP_CfKkVskyY3t-SkPltZ1waAiB5EALw_wcB&utm_source=media&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=PPCgpGen